HAZ?

Just how much strength is lost when heat is used to straighten something? I know it varies with the amount of heat applied, and over what area, but is there any general statements that hold true across the board?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No. None. Nada.

Except one: If it melts in your lap, it's lost all its strength.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

General? Yah, don't touch it, it's hot! And you don't know more? You're the 'expert' around here ya know...... ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

If it's basic mild steel then it won't actually lose strength when it has cooled (unless it was work hardened, but then annealing at a suitably high temperature will reduce the strength but restore the ductility).

Carbon steels, now that's a different story, as Ed says.

Reply to
Newshound

In general it goes from the previous heat treated state, whatever that is, to the annealed state, whatever that is. Know what I mean??

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Just looking to learn, Phil. Unlike some people, who already know everything. You're turning into an irritating stalker, my friend.

You are formally hereby dismissed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve, the answer to your question -- whether or not there's some generalization that you can apply -- is an unequivocal "no." If you have something you've straightened with the help of heat, and if you describe the material, how you heated it, and how you cooled it, we can make an educated guess about what the result is.

It can vary all over the map. If it was hot-rolled 1018 steel or basic structural steel, such as A36, chances are it had little or no effect. Cold-rolled, it depends, but you weakened it somewhat. Other steel, it depends more. Music wire or 1070 heat-treated, you've probably reduced strength by 60% or even more.

The same is true for aluminum. You may even have made it stronger. Brass, copper, etc., yield different answers. Chocolate bars, look in your lap. d8-)

But, again, the answer is that there is no generalization that applies.

Reply to
Ed Huntress