Heading to London first of June

HI Group:

I will be heading to London and Paris the first week of June for 12 days....

Any good spots to hit in the greater London area for model engineering books, magazines, etc.? Used books and magazines are definately high on my list...

Any suggestions as to where are the best flea markets or boot sales? ( I will be in London from a Thursday to the following Wednesday, so will have the weekend to go to the flea markets...

Thanks for any ideas...

Steve Koschmann

Reply to
Steve Koschmann

I don't know how far it is to London, or if there's a retail store, etc., but I'd love to be able to go to Hemingway Kits

I'd like to bring home a few of their kits.

/Hemingway Kits/

126 Dunval Road, Bridgnorth Shropshire WV16 4LZ UK

*Telephone & Fax:*

+44 (0)1746 767739

Dave Young

Steve Koschmann wrote:

Reply to
Dave Young

Definitly see the London science museum. It is tremendous. Best collection of steam engines and the chronicle of the Industrial revolution. Just be warned that those brits will trying to convince you that they invented the 20th century. Hell of a bookstore too, try to time your visit to when they run the giant stationary engine.

GREG

Reply to
Greg

I remember my late father taking me to the Science Museum when I was a small child. He had to attend a trade show as part of his job and took me along as an excuse to get out of there ASAP. We took a quick trip around one floor of the Earl's Court exhibition hall and then off to the the SM for the rest of the day. For a young boy who always wanted to be a 'scientist' it was like going to heaven. This would have been in the mid to late 60's and interactive displays were just coming in and I remember pushing buttons and watching various bits and pieces 'move' as if by magic! I didn't want to leave the place at the end of the day but our train home (a 3 hour trip in those days) wouldn't wait for me to go around again...lol. I never did become a 'scientist' but I guess becoming an 'engineer' was a good second place ;-).

I would second the SM as an essential visit for anyone interested in metalworking and machinery in general.

Reply to
Larry Green

That's about four hours drive from London, at a guess.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Easy walk thru a tunnel from South Kensington tube station. I was there today, never got past the ground floor.

Reply to
Don Foreman

You might find it useful to post this in uk.rec.models.engineering as well.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That's about 45 minutes drive from me. Probably 3 hours from London.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Definitely not model engineering but if you like steam engines try a visit to the Crossness Sewage Pumping Station

If you go to the history and then engines tab look for the tiny little men on the diagram - they are to scale.

There are some (not terribly good) pictures at

Kew Bridge Steam Museum is also worth a look

Peter Parry

You'll also want to visit the science and technology museum on South Kensington (just south of Hyde Park, which is itself a nice walk). They have quite the collection of model and full-size live steam engines.

If you can arrange a trip up to York, the rail museum there is fascinating.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

good luck enjoy

Reply to
Old Nick

I don't know about books or magazines, but the Science Museum in Kensington is a must. I was there when I was a teenager many years ago in the 60's. I remember I spent four full days there, a floor a day.

They have hundreds of models there; steam engines, locomotives, ships, you name it. I think I pushed every button in that museum.

I think they have rebuilt the museum since then.

I did find this for you in London:

they can help you find books and magazines.

One of the best suppliers of publications for model engineering, TEE Publishing

is not far from London.

Abrasha

Abrasha