Help a non-metalworker?

A banana jack from my goodie box measures as follows:

Stud: 3.82 mm (.151") over threads, 0.8mm pitch. Could be a Chinese 8-32; an 8-32 nut fits but it's a bit sloppy. Std 8-32 is .157 min OD. M4 x 0.8 isn't a standard metric thread, but who knows?

Barrel: 5.70 mm (.224") over threads, 0.75mm pitch. M6 x .75 is a standard metric fine thread.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Different strokes for different folks, Don. Every one of the standard sized banana jacks in my Hell Box has a 6-32 mounting stud, measuring .136" over the threads. And, the bodies are aluminum, with steel 6-32 nuts on them.

They look just like the ones on some of my old Heathkit test equipment. which probably hasn't been turned on in 40 years, but I just can't bring myself to part with them. Probably my survivors will stick it all in the box with me when they send me off to that great model shop in the sky.

I'm praying this thread will eventually reach a happy ending with the OP posting a photo for us to see showing the binding post area of his speaker restored to pristine condition.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The Downeast equivalent of "Form follows function." But we also say, "Close enough for a fishboat," "Good enough for who it's for," "Slick as snot on a brass doorknob," and a few more I can't repeat in polite company.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Wher I grew up, central PA, it was a "glass" doorknob. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Well, I finally got a good solder joint and the post appears to be solidly connected. I can now move the speaker or insert the bananna plug without breaking the solder joint. It was matter of making sure that both ends were well tinned and holding the iron on the post for long enough to ensure that everything was melted together.

If this holds I think I'll give it some mechanical stength by filling the area around the post with standard expoxy.

My conductive expoxy hasn't arrived yet but I'm guessing that the tin/silver solder is a better solution from an electrical standpoint.

Thanks for all on this forum who helped me out. I'm forever in your debt.

Thankfully I didn't do any damage to my speaker while dremelling.

You guys rock! Vernon

Reply to
vernon.huang