Help electric motor

3/4 hp motor, capacitor start. This is the motor (cement mixer) that got under water for about 24 hours. That was 4 months ago. I thought it would start and I simply had to clean out the end-cap bearings. Won't start. Just hums.

Is there something obvious that I can do, or is the motor a goner? Should I try to swap capacitors?

Thanks for all advice.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

This is consistent with either bad caps, or non working centrifugal switch. Both simple to test, but could be time consuming.

Try to measure voltage on the cap terminals when you start the motor.

Ignoramus31617

presuming motor spins unpowered properly, spin it up (rope pull will do) and apply power while it's spinning - if it grabs and runs, then the starter circuit is not working

Reply to
Bill Noble

Hum is good, means it isn't blowing the breaker.

I'd test the starter cap and look at the centrifugal switch. Water should not kill it. I've washed a radar package before to deal with salt water contamination and after the pieces dried, it worked fine.

The rope start suggestion to get quickly to will it run was excellent.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Reply to