Help: how was this done

Can anyone tell what type of material was used to make the base of this table. How about the finish? I see weld marks but if the were ground down wouldn't that expose the steel (take off the dark finish). Was it powder coated or painted maybe?

Thanks...

Reply to
RR

Where did the picture originate? Hopefully if it is an item for sale they would tell you what kind of material it is. It could be: Painted Powder coated Or if steel: Black Oxide like some tools have! Without more info, or a much better picture, hard to know.

Lane

Reply to
lane

Upon further investigation Found this site:

Looks to be the same as your picture. The text says that

"If you look closely, you can see subtle weld marks left beh "Material natural steel

Finish Type lacquer"

I guess that it is an oxide finish with a laquer overcoat.

Lane

Reply to
lane

furniture grade which is fairly smooth and free of handling scratches. I would say the dark patina is probably done with one of the selenium bearing blackening solutions like the number 333. These blackening solutions do a great job ,but the base metal has to be totally clean and water break free. I've used the no. 333 at about 20% concentration and it works very well. Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

Roy

Make the item then finish it is how that got done. Just the typical way of doing things in the right order.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

(Looks at his near-identical slate and steel coffee table) Just a standard hot oil finish, IMHO.

Make it, grind it smooth.

Use flap disks to grind it all to a mirror surface (40, 80, 120 grit)

Wipe with clean engine oil on a paper towel.

Heat, as evenly as possible. Propane-air works, for big stuff I use a ship-cleaning oxy-propane line burner. Wipe with more oil as you work it. Swear loudly as the paper keeps catching fire. I recommend a silvered glove too, rather than leather, because it doesn't wick the oil.

Wax polish, with a hard furniture wax (Liberon Black Bison in neutral).

Andy Dingley