Help Wanted

ATN: Occupy Deadbeats, get a job. DENVER-Ferrie Bailey's job should be easy: hiring workers amid the worst stretch of unemployment since the Depression.
A recruiter for Union Pacific Corp., she has openings to fill, the kind that sometimes seem to have all but vanished: secure, well-paying jobs with good benefits that don't require a college degree.
"There's a tremendous shortage of skilled workers," said Craig Giffi, a vice chairman of the consulting firm Deloitte. A recent survey it did found that 83% of manufacturers reported a moderate or severe shortage of skilled production workers to hire.
AAR Corp., a Chicago-based aviation-parts manufacturer, has 600 job openings, mostly for skilled trade jobs like welders and maintenance mechanics. Chief Executive David Storch said the shortage of workers has forced the company to pass up business and delay some manufacturing work. He said the company would like to start a third shift at its Indianapolis aircraft maintenance facility but has been unable to do so because of worker shortages.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203707504577010080035955166.html
Bset Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Add pictures here
✖
azotic wrote:

How many more skilled workers will industry and state government have to kill off before this problem goes away?
--Winston <--Let's not over complicate this.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:07:47 -0800, azotic wrote:

SB10001424052970203707504577010080035955166.html
I watched a program a year or two ago -- I can't remember what channel, I don't watch TV as a rule. It was a special report on how industry couldn't get skilled workers even in this economy.
They interviewed three or four management types. There was lots of whining about not getting the workers they needed. NOT ONE of these guys talked about taking less-skilled young go-getters and MAKING skilled workers out of them-- they just bitched about how mama government wasn't flopping her tit in their faces and inviting them to suckle.
I'm sure they weren't representative of the folks who are _really_ getting the job done.
But my sympathy is very -- measured.
✖

My sympathy is even more measured, considering that they are looking to fill a third shift, the worst time to be at work.
✖
On Nov 29, 7:40 pm, Ignoramus19453 <ignoramus19...@NOSPAM. 19453.invalid> wrote:

The shipyard here apprentices people. Karl
Add pictures here
✖
Ignoramus19453 wrote:

Maybe for you. Some people are at their peak efficiency at those hours. The other benefits are that it's easier to shop or go to a doctor without missing work. I worked second or third shift most of my life, and I loved it. Another advantage is that there are few phone calls and less people around to distract you from your work.

✖
Gunner Asch wrote:

I was more than twice as productive without all the interuptions when repairing CATV equipment in the '80s.

✖

    I'd like Day shift, or a "real" night shift (10 PM to six), followed by swings. But too often, your choice is Day shift or 'Nights' and 4 tens. Which means if you are on "night" shift - you get the worse of swings _and_ graveyard shift.     But as much as I'd like Day shift with a Six hour work day, and a four day week - people in Hell want ice water.     Besides, on swings, you don't have the suits around.
--
pyotr
✖
On 11/29/2011 11:07 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Translation: "we want somebody with years of experience and a good work history of doing this very job, but since they're new here, they'll have to start off at the bottom wage scale."
~
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:37:13 -0600, DougC wrote:

More or less. Except for the one or two guys who were complaining that the gov'ment wasn't shoving enough people through community colleges and vocational schools.
I suspect that they were complaining about high taxes, too.
I also suspect that the folks who _do_ hire motivated youngsters or career-changing retreads and train them up were too busy making money to get interviewed. Like the shipyard that Karl mentioned.
✖
DougC wrote:

> with years of experience and a good work history of doing this very job, > (willing to commit felonies on behalf of the senior management), > but since they're new here, they'll have to start off at the bottom > wage scale."
I fixed that for you. :)
--Winston
Add pictures here
✖

The same applies here in Australia. All the industries that are whining about a lack of skilled tradesmen are the ones that laid off their apprentices at the first sign of a downturn in their sales. Now they want to import supposedly shilled labout from India and China. At the next slow down, they will lay them off and the taxpayers will foot the bill for their dole money.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:07:47 -0800, "azotic"
<snip>

<snip>
So sad -- too bad. What goes around comes around...
The companies should have thought about this before they canned all their workers.
If the companies sold all their machines and equipment for scrap to keep the executive bonuses coming, who would have the slightest sympathy for their problems when they could no longer produce anything. Why is it any different when they "scrap" their trained and experienced employees.
As a follow-on, if you could get a job somewhere else, why would you go to work for a company that historically regards their employees as expendable cost items?
Why are workers now expected to flock to these companies just because they need trained and talented employees, and why are the taxpayers now expected to pay to train/educate another crop of suckers, er... new employees for them?
IMNSHO it would be far better for the Republic for these fast buck exploitative and short-term oriented companies to go out of business to make room for productive enterprises with a long-term commitments to their stake holders and communities.
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
✖