Help with metal strengths

Well I can think of one material that would make this easier. It's lightweight, strong, and you determine the overall rigidity. Easy to work with and wouldn't require welding.

Carbon fiber.

I tried your photo link, Are you making the hitch for the bike or is that the wrong thing? If so why is the 1/4 inch a fixed dimension? The hitch on my bike is 3/4" tubing that is welded like a truss. It bolts to the frame at the swing arm and the rear pegs. I've also seen sport bikes with a bent tube hitch that attached to the rear frame under the seat.

Reply to
Steve W.

OK so it's like the "bob" bicycle trailer - you should have said so in the first place!!

Reply to
clare

What's wrong with making it of steel tube like the MonoTrail? I'd use 4140 ChroMo tubing. .040 to .065 wall. (.060 would be my preferred minimum) Round tubing gives you the best rigidity per lb.

Reply to
clare

You definitely want it rigid, if it flexes into the wheel/tire.... I also wouldn't want to connect it to the trailing arm. The added weight while maneuvering could cause some bad things to happen. Easier to bend two pieces of tubing. Flatten the ends, attach them to 4 solid points on the bike and then weld a reinforcement plate at the rear.

Like this style. Just add an adapter for the other hitch.

Steve W.

On 8/23/2014 12

I'm making the "drawbar" so to speak, which will pull the trailer.

My axle has 1/2" protruding ends/nipples. A 1/2' bushing with 1/4" flange and drilled hole for the pin uses the other 1/4" to fit into the hole of the drawbar. Therefore, it has to be 1/4", at least where it attaches to the axle.

Never thought of Carbon Fiber. I'll have to investigate that more.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Actually, nothing and I agree. I was looking for something more simpler to do which I can do with what tools I have. I thought of doing it exactly like the Mono Trail and even contacted them asking to buy their fitment kit and attachment bar. My emails are ignored and he's in the UK. This is something I may now seriously consider again.

Reply to
Meanie

The rule of thumb I learned from Segway's head of mechanical engineering was to stay below 1/2 of the ultimate tensile strength for steel. I asked because I was designing the transmission for my sawmill.

1 ksi = 1000 pounds per square inch.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins