Help with terminology

I used to own what I call 'support posts'. 30 years ago I bought them at Sears. They are telescoping 3"± tubes with an acme jack screw on top. Used for either temporary or permanent support of sagging floors etc. Mine would telescope from about 5 feet to 8 feet ±. Need to buy some since I am digging a basement under my house. Can't for the life of me remember what they are called, and therefore can not find any on the web or elsewhere. I've searched under 'jack post', 'house jack', 'support post' etc.

All help appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Thomas Kendrick

Acro Props they are called here -a Google on them showed 509 entries. Useful things to have around the house.......along with the Trewalla Jack (to further confuse the issue...)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Tom's right - Lalley or Lally columns. Usually you can get two different sizes for being able to reach (or get under) different beam heights. They typically come with a plate for the bottom, plate for the top, screw w/ nut, cross pin for the adjustment holes and a cheapo

3/8 rod to use for the adjustment handle. In new homes, they typically install the posts upside down, adjust for a straight beam, and then the "tops" are cemented into the basement floor. Stops anyone from "messing" with the adjustments and cracking plaster/drywall at a later time. HTH Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling

Hey Ivan,

Generically, they are "telescoping support columns", or "adjustable support columns", or even "hollow tube support columns", and the popular brand around here seems to be called a Lally column.

You can get them in varying lengths at any building supply or larger hardware stores. Shorter ones are same as the long ones but for "crawl-space" area joist support.

Take care.

Brian "Ain't-memory-offline-a-bitch" Lawson Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

"Pole shores" is one name that comes to mind. Pole shores are for temporary use, not left in place.

Reply to
Gary Brady