hey Gunner

I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth much? I know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I returned mine within a week and got a Ruger 10-22

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I picked up an Armalite AR-7 for $140 last year.

I used to have problems with unreliable feeding. I've solved this on several different AR-7 versions. What has worked for me is to put a tiny feed ramp in the lower rear of the chamber. Use a fine round file, like a small fine tooth chainsaw file, smaller diameter than the chamber, and cut a 45 degree groove not more than .030" deep. This is cut and try, as you don't want to take out too much. Be careful that you don't damage the chamber walls with the end of the file.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I have ah...several.....with good magazines and a ramp job, they work well enough. You need to polish and form the ramp a bit.

They average about $200-250 here in California, when you can find one these days. Ive got the black, brown and green ones in my tiny collection

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Just how many firearms do you have? (don't answer that!) How many more will be "enough"? Does your thumb look like a hot-dog from loading mags?

Reply to
Buerste

"Several"

No such word when discussing firearms.

Nope...but has a pretty good callous.

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I figure, just---one---more! I'm thinking a Punt Gun.

Reply to
Buerste

There's a museum on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Easton? Cambridge?) that has three or four punt guns. They all have names, which they were given 150 years ago or so.

Have you ever been up close to one of those suckers? The barrel looks like the sewer pipe in my basement, only prettier. Despite the fact that the buttstock looks like it goes against your shoulder, if you tried, your arm would wind up in the next county.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ooooo....Duck Claymores

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My limits are a Thompson Center contender in .375 JDJ or my uncles Browning highwall pushing a 320g bullet at 2400 fps. After that, it quits being fun. My lightweight 338 win mag isn't that much joy either. Hot 44 mag loads in my superblackhawk, yeah baby. I'm still up for that! Maybe when I get older the redhawk will make more sense if i can lift it ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Whatever perverse motive used to attract me to guns with painful recoil, it left me years ago.

If you haven't seen a punt gun, or how it's used, you should look it up on Google. I'm sure they have plenty of info on them. These are guns around which people would build a boat. d8-) The barrel rested in a padded notch in the bow, and a thick plank, braced with grown knees and all kinds of reinforcement, projected up from the transom. You rested the buttstock on this plank and hoped that firing the gun didn't rip the transom off the punt.

They could sluice a whole flock of rafting ducks with one shot from those things.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:38:06 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

I found it hard to believe the tiny array we looked at when I was there, and I believe there are a "few" more elsewhere. ;)

That number is impossible to say until it has been reached, of course.

Nah, he uses safe loading techniques. (Cartridge Condoms, yeah?)

-- If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. -- Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:51:03 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

That oughta do it...for now. Just make sure your backside is clear when you fire it, wot?

-- If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. -- Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually not quite so gruesome.

Most of the punt gun boats were little more then a very light weight single man boat. Generally they were operated with the shooter laying prone and paddling with what looked like ping-pong paddles. When the gun fired much of the recoil was absorbed by the boat scooting backward. When I was a kid there was an old guy in town that had one of the punts in his garage and either him, as a young man, or perhaps his daddy had shot ducks for market out of it. There is a picture of a gun punt at

looks very much like my memory of the one I saw. Cheers,

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Good grief. You call that a punt gun? That's what they call a gentleman's fowling piece on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

The ones they used on the Eastern Shore, in the Chesapeake tributaries and on Sinepuxent Bay, around Crisfield and up to Baltimore, ran up to 13 feet in length and fired a load of up to five pounds of cut shot and nails.

Here's a Maryland-style punt gun:

And I've seen some with even bigger bores.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Several years ago a local gun store had one of these for sale:

That would get the ducks and the Amtrac they drove in on.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jeez, don't start these guys thinking. We'll see them shooting prairie dogs with one if you plant the idea in their mind.

BTW, I like the skiis and the comment about being pulled by reindeer. They had a different idea about how to fight a war in Finland.

That's the second time I've seen a reference to the low muzzle velocity of WWII-era 20mm guns. I didn't realize that. Apparently the Brit Hurricanes and Spitfires that were stripped down and souped up to chase V-1 buzzbombs tried 20mm guns but they had to get to close to the bomb to hit it, and wound up flying through exploded debris if they hit the thing.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

What scope do you recommend?

Reply to
Buerste

So, do you think alcohol was involved in the design?

Reply to
Buerste

Of course. And how would you spend a cold day laying down in an open punt, by yourself, with one shot in your gun, if you didn't have alcohol? That's not entertainment.

It's like a story I read about a NASCAR driver in the old days, maybe 35 years ago, who was getting his first drive. "What?" he asked. "You expect me to drive 500 miles without a radio?"

If you didn't see this, here is a Maryland-style punt gun. They had a *lot* of ducks in the old days, and ready markets for them in Baltimore and Philadelphia:

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Now you know why I want one! It'll be my LAST gun, I promise! Maybe I should build one, any plans available? How about semi-automatic?

Reply to
Buerste