hey Gunner

First off, the feds put them in the "dangerous device" category, or whatever it's called, because of the bore size. I think. Maybe that just applies to rifles, but you should check with someone who knows. If it is in that category, it's handled like a machine gun under federal law. And check with your state.

Regarding plans, jeez, it's just a muzzleloading, single-barrel shotgun. You don' need no steenking plans. Just be sure you understand the difference between the lock dynamics used for external-lock cartridge shotguns and those designed for percussion-cap guns. The first bounce. The second lock when they reach the end of their stroke.

Some enthusiasts in the UK make replicas (yes, they were legal there long after they had been outlawed in the US). Or they did, back in the '80s. Good luck finding them.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Howthehell else are you expected to harvest duck on the Norfolk Broads???

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Not whatever Ed, destructive. It's the pre-bush label for a WMD.

That and cyclic rate bbut largely the former until recently.

AAHHHHHH No.

Yes

Yep

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Are you going to make me go search myself? I'm getting old and tired. See what you can come up with first. d8-)>>>

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

One with a right angle eyepiece Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'm not sure that 5 pounds of shot qualifies as a "punt gun". More likely as a "gun" in the navel sense :-) Cheers,

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Did you see the photo in the link above? That's a heck of a bore. Two inches is, what, about 50mm?

The first time I saw one of those things was on a school trip when my family lived in Hagerstown, MD. I was impressed, especially since I thought you put that buttstock up against your shoulder.

Many years later we used to go to Eastern Shore vacation spots, and I saw several of them at once in a museum down there. I distinctly remember that the bore on one of them was 2-1/4".

They also had old photos of the punts, and they were square-enders, longer than the little boats I saw Googling around for a photo of one of the guns. As I recall they looked more like traditional Jon boats.

They had some of the cut shot at the museum, too; little triangles cut from a flat sheet of iron. Cut shot was also made from lead, but I don't know if they used that in the punt guns.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I want the auto-loader model! I promise it'll be the last gun I'll buy!

Reply to
Buerste

That was a rhetorical question

When I was a child in Norfolk, punt guns were the tool for the job.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

It's good for us that you didn't have those things during our revolutionary war.

And what job was that they did in Norfolk? Wipe out the entire European flyway of ducks? They were outlawed here for migratory waterfowl sometime before 1900, I think.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Things are different today. I have a ten-shot 12 guage hanging above the door for the junkies across the road.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

2" guns are no longer allowed, but 1.75 is.

Punt guns are still in use with that proviso.

visit:-

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mama mia.

Oh, that's interesting. I hope some of the US gun enthusiasts visit that site and see how much activity there is in the UK. The impression I had was that it was all but dead.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The answer to the question of"how many firearms do you have?" is, "If you know how many you have, you don't have enough!" :-) Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Indeed. I actually found a couple that I didnt realize I owned.

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch