HF welding helmets

Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a discussion about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale for 35 bucks . I F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet , and it's been unreliacle ever since . I'll post an opinion of this unit after I've had a chance to use it .

Reply to
Snag

So, you've written a post to tell us that you're going to post?

Well, I'm going to comment on it, when you write it.

.

"Snag" wrote in message news:pq6_r.201$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.iad... Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a discussion about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale for 35 bucks . I F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet , and it's been unreliacle ever since . I'll post an opinion of this unit after I've had a chance to use it .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I tried it , just a couple of short beads with the WeldPak and it seems to work OK . This is 4 helmets in my collection now ... 1st was a small-lens solid , then a big lens solid , the 1st auto was a gift from the wife and now this one . I suspect if I'm going to be doing a lot of welding the big lens solid will be my choice - BUT I did notice a big improvement in my beads when I got that first auto unit . Might be different if I did weld a lot , but for the little I do I like the auto helmets .

Reply to
Snag

Don't bother , I won't see it . Back into the bit bucket with you Stormy .

Reply to
Snag

I've got a Nexgen EQC HTLS and a HF (and a couple fixed too), both work fine. The HF with the smaller window and darker "light" shade is ok for moving between weld positions, but not for moving clamps and whatnot. The Nexgen with HTLS and larger window allows for moving clamps and whatnot without lifting the helmet. I'm not a pro welder, but I've done some moderately involved projects and not had any eye issues, though I have had the occasional under-chin tan.

Reply to
Pete C.

On 8/25/2012 1:22 PM, Snag wrote: ...

I was the one that had/has the difficulty in bringing self to trust HF when it comes to safety-related stuff as alluded to in opening thread...

Just out of curiosity, did the helmet come w/ an indication that the ANSI Standard really does apply or was it weasel-worded to imply something that might just be or not be so????

I've a fair amount of past experience where overseas vendors from a large and populous country were both outright faking and in lesser cases implying product passed N-stamp (nuclear safety-grade use) certifications when, in fact, they weren't even close. Other examples in the news in the relatively recent past include aircraft repair parts, medical-certifications, etc., etc., amongst other things...

It's a fair leap of faith the vendor really does what he says he does and I still don't have that comfort-feeling w/ HF whether or not that distrust is warranted...again, that's me.

I'll go away again, now... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

There's a sticker on the lens unit that says "ANSI Z87.1-2003 , and another on the helmet body that says "Welding Helmet with ANSI-Approved Lens" . Also says it's not approved for TIG , plasma curring , laser welding , nor OA welding/cutting operations . UV / IR protection up to 16 at all times . Doesn't sound like weasel-words to me ... BTW , I bought a rotating laser level today too , and it works exactly as the advertising blurb says . Plus it's got a lifetime warranty ! I made sure I taped the receipt to the inside of the molded case so I won't lose it .

Reply to
Snag

The receipts from many cash registers will fade out before the warrantee is over. I always make a xerox copy while the receipt is fresh.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Well, that does indicate they are buying qualified stuff--power to 'em.

TIG I know about; plasma/laser, too. What's the problem about OA? Is it infrared wrong wavelength maybe?

--

Reply to
dpb

I think that's bait on the breath... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

"Snag" fired this volley in news:lMa_r.852$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad:

After reading all this thread, I was at HF picking up a few fatigue pads yesterday, and remembered to look at the helmets.

The one for $54.99 is also approved for TIG. Otherwise, it has all the approvals you say. And it's a nice helmet -- larger lens and smoother response than my 15-year-old "professional" one. After trying the demo model on sunlight and fluorescents, I bought one.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

dpb fired this volley in news:k1bmu6$pih$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

9 is too dark for that -- 4 is too light.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Indeed!!!

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

Good point , I will scan it into my server comp tomorrow and print a copy . -- Snag Learning keeps you young !

Reply to
Snag

Most guys are too busy looking at their bazooms to notice . Not that *I'd* do that ...

Reply to
Snag

I thought he meant he's going to eat some worms ... "Nobody loves me everybody hates me I'm going to go eat worms . Yesterday I had two slick ones and three fuzzy ones . I like the fuzzy ones best because they tickle when you swallow ..."

Reply to
Snag

Perhaps he's going out for sushi?

Reply to
J. Clarke

They're not adjustable between????

Reply to
dpb

dpb fired this volley in news:k1d61p$pf1$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

The passive "off" shade is 4. The darkened shade is adjustable between 9 and 13. The passive UV/IR protection "shade" is 16.

OA cutting and fusion welding can be seen best at a shade of about 5 for welding and 6 for cutting, and is too hard to see at 9, and will "spot" your eyes at shade 4.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yeah, I realized that after sent--it's the problem w/ the one I have for smaller stick--the 9 is still so dark can barely see the bead.

Wasn't thinking about the on-adjustable range instead of just the number range between off/on.

--

Reply to
dpb