HF welding helmets

Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a discussion about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale for 35 bucks . I
F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet <wind blew it from where I put it during a bad thunderstorm> , and it's been unreliacle ever since . I'll post an opinion of this unit after I've had a chance to use it .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a discussion about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale for 35 bucks . I F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet <wind blew it from where I put it during a bad thunderstorm> , and it's been unreliacle ever since . I'll post an opinion of this unit after I've had a chance to use it .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't bother , I won't see it . Back into the bit bucket with you Stormy .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On 8/25/2012 5:14 PM, Steve B wrote:

I think that's bait on the breath... :)
dpb wrote:

I thought he meant he's going to eat some worms ... "Nobody loves me everybody hates me I'm going to go eat worms . Yesterday I had two slick ones and three fuzzy ones . I like the fuzzy ones best because they tickle when you swallow ..."
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Perhaps he's going out for sushi?
wrote

It's (a)bated breath, meaning intense anticipation, from Shakespeare.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Just when we were starting to have some real fun with this you had to drag us back to reality . Gee thanks ... and speaking of fuzzy , There was this girl I went to high school with that one day wore some purple tights with her miniskirt , and she hadn't shaved her legs for <apparently> quite a while . You can fill in the blanks .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Well, I finally got the tractor fixed and the logging chains out, sometimes Back to Reality takes a hard pull.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Hey Jim , are you the guy that built the bandsaw using the 'cycle wheels ? If so I really like to get some advice and maybe plans/sketches/henscratches of yours . I'm moving to the Ozarks and I'm thinking I need to build a small mill to slab some trees as I thin my forest . We're going to try to build our house as much as possible from onsite resources - one thing that grows really really well in Stone County Arkansas is rocks , plus we've got about 10,000 oak trees .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/HomeMadeMachines#5107453006429714322
The tech here: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com / told me to run the blade at ~5000 feet/minute. The 5.5HP Tecumseh engine I borrowed off my log splitter has a low-vibration sweet spot at around 3000 RPM so those determined the transmission reduction ratio. I thought the sprocket already on the rear wheel would make driving it simple, but I had to make a spline cutter to groove the intermediate shaft to take the small motorcycle drive sprocket I bought. https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/HomeMadeMachines#5257348334136663058 The four horizontal bolts align the shaft parallel to the drive wheel axis and keep the pillow blocks from shifting. The pulley is the largest I could find, to minimize the tension and wear in the B size vee belt. https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/HomeMadeMachines#5339007508265721842 The idler pulley is from a scrapped riding mower. The handle on the other end of the control crank is against a stop with the spring eyebolt end turned slightly past dead center, so a light tap or vibration will throw out the clutch.
That sprocket mount about the only tricky machining, the blade guides use skate bearings and round Cool Blocks(?) and the frame was all sawn and welded square tubing, restraightened with a jack. The frame is a simple straight easily-aligned ladder between the axles instead of a C, and still gives about `13" of throat depth with the large motorcycle wheels. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 850
I made the front wheel carrier a loose fit in the frame and tapped holes for alignment bolts that slide on the fixed frame rails, same as the pillow block bolts.
For proof of concept mount the wheels on a pair of parallel 2x4s and try to make a loop of industrial steel strapping track properly. They'll make the blades any length. I had to grind a lot of rubber off the front wheel to get a wide enough crown. The rear wheel had been burned to the cords (as I cheered him on) and was almost perfect.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Thank you !!!
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:

YOU WENT TO SCHOOL WITH BIG BIRD!!! ;-)
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Steve B wrote:

ROTFLMAO
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Steve B wrote:

I tried it , just a couple of short beads with the WeldPak and it seems to work OK . This is 4 helmets in my collection now ... 1st was a small-lens solid , then a big lens solid , the 1st auto was a gift from the wife <the one that got wet> and now this one . I suspect if I'm going to be doing a lot of welding the big lens solid will be my choice - BUT I did notice a big improvement in my beads when I got that first auto unit . Might be different if I did weld a lot , but for the little I do I like the auto helmets .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:

I've got a Nexgen EQC HTLS and a HF (and a couple fixed too), both work fine. The HF with the smaller window and darker "light" shade is ok for moving between weld positions, but not for moving clamps and whatnot. The Nexgen with HTLS and larger window allows for moving clamps and whatnot without lifting the helmet. I'm not a pro welder, but I've done some moderately involved projects and not had any eye issues, though I have had the occasional under-chin tan.
On 8/25/2012 1:22 PM, Snag wrote: ...

I was the one that had/has the difficulty in bringing self to trust HF when it comes to safety-related stuff as alluded to in opening thread...
Just out of curiosity, did the helmet come w/ an indication that the ANSI Standard really does apply or was it weasel-worded to imply something that might just be or not be so????
I've a fair amount of past experience where overseas vendors from a large and populous country were both outright faking and in lesser cases implying product passed N-stamp (nuclear safety-grade use) certifications when, in fact, they weren't even close. Other examples in the news in the relatively recent past include aircraft repair parts, medical-certifications, etc., etc., amongst other things...
It's a fair leap of faith the vendor really does what he says he does and I still don't have that comfort-feeling w/ HF whether or not that distrust is warranted...again, that's me.
I'll go away again, now... :)
dpb wrote:

There's a sticker on the lens unit that says "ANSI Z87.1-2003 , and another on the helmet body that says "Welding Helmet with ANSI-Approved Lens" . Also says it's not approved for TIG , plasma curring , laser welding , nor OA welding/cutting operations . UV / IR protection up to 16 at all times . Doesn't sound like weasel-words to me ... BTW , I bought a rotating laser level today too , and it works exactly as the advertising blurb says . Plus it's got a lifetime warranty ! I made sure I taped the receipt to the inside of the molded case so I won't lose it .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

The receipts from many cash registers will fade out before the warrantee is over. I always make a xerox copy while the receipt is fresh.
Joe Gwinn