HF welding helmets

It's (a)bated breath, meaning intense anticipation, from Shakespeare.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Just when we were starting to have some real fun with this you had to drag us back to reality . Gee thanks ... and speaking of fuzzy , There was this girl I went to high school with that one day wore some purple tights with her miniskirt , and she hadn't shaved her legs for quite a while . You can fill in the blanks .

Reply to
Snag

Well, I finally got the tractor fixed and the logging chains out, sometimes Back to Reality takes a hard pull.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Hey Jim , are you the guy that built the bandsaw using the 'cycle wheels ? If so I really like to get some advice and maybe plans/sketches/henscratches of yours . I'm moving to the Ozarks and I'm thinking I need to build a small mill to slab some trees as I thin my forest . We're going to try to build our house as much as possible from onsite resources - one thing that grows really really well in Stone County Arkansas is rocks , plus we've got about

10,000 oak trees .
Reply to
Snag

ROTFLMAO

Reply to
Snag

The tech here:
me to run the blade at ~5000 feet/minute. The 5.5HP Tecumseh engine I borrowed off my log splitter has a low-vibration sweet spot at around 3000 RPM so those determined the transmission reduction ratio. I thought the sprocket already on the rear wheel would make driving it simple, but I had to make a spline cutter to groove the intermediate shaft to take the small motorcycle drive sprocket I bought.
four horizontal bolts align the shaft parallel to the drive wheel axis and keep the pillow blocks from shifting. The pulley is the largest I could find, to minimize the tension and wear in the B size vee belt.
idler pulley is from a scrapped riding mower. The handle on the other end of the control crank is against a stop with the spring eyebolt end turned slightly past dead center, so a light tap or vibration will throw out the clutch.

That sprocket mount about the only tricky machining, the blade guides use skate bearings and round Cool Blocks(?) and the frame was all sawn and welded square tubing, restraightened with a jack. The frame is a simple straight easily-aligned ladder between the axles instead of a C, and still gives about `13" of throat depth with the large motorcycle wheels.

I made the front wheel carrier a loose fit in the frame and tapped holes for alignment bolts that slide on the fixed frame rails, same as the pillow block bolts.

For proof of concept mount the wheels on a pair of parallel 2x4s and try to make a loop of industrial steel strapping track properly. They'll make the blades any length. I had to grind a lot of rubber off the front wheel to get a wide enough crown. The rear wheel had been burned to the cords (as I cheered him on) and was almost perfect.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

YOU WENT TO SCHOOL WITH BIG BIRD!!! ;-)