High heat material for commercial flame broiler

I have been asked to fab some new grates for a grill in a local restaurant. The grate is not the cooking surface, but the one just above the burners that holds the brickettes. I am told that it approaches 1000 degrees farenheit. The current grate is about 6 months old and is cast. It is basically falling apart. I looked at it today and there were some parts that were cherry red. The chef gave me a piece and after it cooled I could break it with my hand.

What would be the best material for this?

Reply to
joebass

My first impulse was to say stainless steel. The web site below discusses heat resistance of stainless. Even 304 stainless, the most common type, appears to be suitable. Stainless steel is the standard for food contact. Note the temperatues in Centigrade, 900C is about 1650F. It looks simple to me, use 304 stainless, but let's see what other folks have to say.

Richard

joebass wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

check out inconel

Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Inconel would last a very long time in that service.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Hell, after the apocalypse, some future archeologist will dig it up, say "hey this looks like a grill", light it and cook some future-dogs as good as the day the inconel was installed.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

My first thought was 321 or 310 stainless because of the heat, and the fact that I have welded alot of 304. Someone else I know mentioned Monel. How is the weldability of these Nickel alloys compared to stainless? Or would they be overkill? Price is somewhat of an issue, I assume these materials would be more than staonless also. Thanks for the replies so far.

Reply to
joebass

The specs on 304 indicate that it will handle the heat easily. 321 and Inconel are even better, but check the prices on them before making a decision. All of them are easily welded.

From what I can see, anything beyond 304 is extreme overkill for what you want.

BTW, if you really mean "cherry red," you were looking at something in the range of 1300 - 1500 deg. F. Metals start to glow a very dim red at around

1000 deg. F, or down to 900 deg. F if you're looking at them in a a dimly lighted place.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Charcoal burns around 1400 deg. F.

Reply to
Footy

I agree with the selection of stainless, any of the 300 series that can be obtained reasonably (301,302,304,316,317,321,347), but not the free machining grades (303S or 303Se), which do not weld well. I used some scrap pieces of rectangular 303 bar to support my retort (no welding involved) when I used to process dental amalgam. I achieved a red heat routinely, and the bars held up very well for years. Note that if this material is exposed to moisture (outdoor grill) it may degrade gradually.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

FYI, the steel industry could disagree with you just a little bit, but indeed for grilling purposes you aren't going to see much over 1500.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams
.

I had a grate in my coal-fired 3/4" scale loco made of hot rolled flat bar-stock 1/8 X 5/8, stood on edge and bolted through together with

3/16 ready rod at three places. Lasted for YEARS. I made an new one of 3/16 round stainless welded, and it lasted one season. Admittedly, I don't know what grade stainless it was. I made a new one of the flat bar again, and it's still good after a few seasons.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Ok guys, thanks for the help. I picked up 96 feet of 304 .25 x .5 inch flat bar today. is there any special precautions I need to do before or after welding because of the high heat environment?

Reply to
joebass

Clamp it well when welding it. #04 twists like a snake with a bit of heat on it.

Reply to
Tom Miller