High temperature thread sealant

Anything better than PTFE/Teflon for high temperatures?
Just go dry or what? High temperature compressor output line... the
hose is bellows with braid over it.

There are a lot of options for very high temperature thread sealants. Search on this term in Mcmaster for example.
However, teflon is supposed to go up to 500 deg. F. I am not an expert in air compressors, but I would think if the output air is that hot, something else might be getting damaged.
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:03:00 -0800, "anorton"

Okay, found one that looks good, and reasonable price (< $50 for 4oz), thanks.

At the 260C is supposed to be maximum.. it's starting to get soft above about 150C.. but point taken. There's an awful lot of power (several kW continuously in this case) going into a little bit of air.
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:03:00 -0800, "anorton"

I simply use a teflon based thread sealer paste readily available at any plumbing shop for ALL air connections, including those on the head end. I hate! Hate! finding tape bits blocking solenoids and valves downstream in CNC cabinets.
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

You would LOVE the crap one company uses on fire vehicles. It is some type of epoxy sealant. Does a GREAT job sealing and locking the connections together. BUT if any extra gets loose in the system....
Nothing like stepping on the brakes with an air brake system and having NOTHING because of a blockage. BTDT , I ripped apart the entire system and resealed all of it. Also installed a few filter screens in the lines.
--
Steve W.

How about sealant for EGR pipe and oxygen sensor threads? Never-Seez perhaps? jsw
On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:35:52 AM UTC-8, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Auto stores stock a variety of (usually Permatex brand) sealants in RTV silicone, including a variety of removable sealants. If you ever replace/repair threaded fittings, the nonremovable ones are not recommended.
I've used Permatex IIb non hardening, for auto gasket applications. Should work on threads. Messy, but alcohol cleans it off skin. Not much cleans it off clothing.
Auto stores stock a variety of (usually Permatex brand) sealants in RTV silicone, including a variety of removable sealants. If you ever replace/repair threaded fittings, the nonremovable ones are not recommended.
I"m concerned that this is why head 'gaskets' are blowing out with this Alcohol gasoline we have now. New cars likely have something that handles dual fuels but not older cars and trucks.
Martin
On 11/20/2012 4:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 11/20/2012 11:39 AM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

BIG PROBLEM ON THE HORIZON!!! I did exactly what you are talking about and the temp from the output of the compressor was too high for the braid covered hose! The hose under the SS braid disintegrated. DON'T DO IT!
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 18:44:22 -0500, the renowned Tom Gardner

Hi, Tom, thanks for the warning.
This stuff is 300-series stainless on the inside too- no rubber. It's crinkled like a bellows so it's flexible and braided with stainless braid on the outside. It's not particularly cheap, but not insane.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:06:01 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

Greetings Spehro, If you want high temp sealant then try this link: http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/ROCKSETT-2-OZ-p4019.htm The stuff is 10 bucks a bottle, is sold by Brownells too, and is good enough that your stainless hose will be glowing red when the max temp of this stuff is reached. Eric
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:45:39 -0800, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Thanks, Eric!
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
They also sell sealant for Wood stoves - it is high temp RTV and is red. I've used it on my wood stove - and it stands up to red hot temps.
Martin
On 11/20/2012 8:30 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:30:01 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

Your welcome. Let us know how well it worksplease. Eric

Thanks, that is very handy to know about. I used to use a ceramic-based adhesive that required mixing and baking.

    I've used similar stuff at work to transport liquid helium. But it had two bellows -- one inside the other, and the space between them was evacuated to maximize insulation. Think of it as a long, flexible Dewar. :-)
    But I have one short run of the what you are describing, which I intend to use to decouple vibration on a compressor from the pipes in the shop.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Had a closer look at one of those this morning (feeding a plane liquid He through a blowhole). They work very nicely- no frost on the outside.
On 11/21/2012 12:32 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I gotta ask: What is the liquid helium used for? What does it do? Was this a regular passenger plane or some military/experimental?
technomaNge
--
I'm familiar with LOX.

    I think that he meant "plain", not "plane".
    Liquid Helium is used to achieve very low temperatures -- much lower than the 77 degrees K of liquid Nitrogen. When I was using it, it was as refrigerant liquid in producing even lower temperatures. (We were experimenting with superconductivity at the time.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail