Home brew scaled up version of HF V/H bandsaw

Well it may or may not be scaled up from a HF model as I have a few that I have seen that I am taking into consideration on mnaking. I could use a much larger capacity saw than I already have (HF model) and see no reason in the world I could not make it as easy as I made my 20" vertical bandsaw. Looking at a 10 x 12 or so in size..........and I have mathicng pairs of nice cast iron already made wheels in various widths and diameters that wil only need to be bored to fit spindles and a stepped recess cut for the blade to ride against.

I do have the capabiity to make quality cast iron or aluminum castings large enough for the saw,. however I am leaning towards a saw made out of weldments, as it would be quicker and easier overall, instead of making a set of patterns and then the castings for a one of project, the time it would take to make patterns I could have the saw finished using weldments.

Pros / Cons to either..........other than ridgidity? Ridgidity shuld not be an issue in all reality if weldments are done right......

What about power..........I have a heap of DC motors of good quality, up to 3 hp. Would it be feasible to drive the worm and worm gear direct with one or do yu think it shuld still be driven through a pulley belt setup? How about direct drive to the motors shaft without a worm gear setup? Probably not enough torque at low speeds, but then again I do not know......Anyone have a source or a worm and worm gear at the "right" prices?

Any ideas appreciated. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

I thought I had a copy but I can't find it right now.

Typical Gingery, mostly bolted construction, some welding. All belt drive. Looks like something you could toss together with stock on hand. If I find my copy I'll try to find & mention any critical measurements or adjustments, but since you've already built one bandsaw, and have an existing H/V to use as a reference, I suspect you'll do fine. I suspect most of what you want to know is shown in the second link anyway...

And no, I've neither made one nor know of anyone who has. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford