Is a B52 V-Belt the same as a 5B V-Belt

My Sheldon lathe takes a B52 V-Belt. I have some Fenner Power Twist Belts on it now that covers the 5B belt profile. I have been getting some heating of the pulley sheaves and this could be the cause. What is a B52 V-Belt? Any advise greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

B indicates the cross section shape of the belt and 52 is the length in inches at the pitch depth of the circumference of the belt. There are AB&C sections as well as a number of others such as SPZ ( a much smaller section) Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Are you sure the Fenner belt isn't 5V? The 5V profile is close in size to the B profile, but not interchangeable.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Open the top when running. Is the Power twist belts moving up and down.... It should be almost tight - not knowing the length you have - I bet you didn't know to remove some links after working - a link every foot or so - can't recall.

I bet the belt is over working the pulleys by flying around. Or just the reverse you have it to tight.

These belts don't slip. That is why the belts are used in industrial machines.

Might need a link or might need to remove some. My Sheldon 11-44 runs nice with some power twist belt on it. So does my 60 year old wood lathe.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn