Homemade Mounting Block

Well, I got the two antibacklash nut mounting blocks I needed to make for sure done this morning. (The third I may be able to mount directly in the slide by machining the slide itself.) I gave up on all the fancy stuff for tapping those 6-32 holes and just used a regular flat handle. The key seems to be that you take it in until it gets a tiny bit more resistance, then back it off a full 3/4 turn every time. If at 3/4 turn it is not spinning freely completely remove the tap and blow the chips out. I tapped 4 holes with the same tap with no problems. All by hand without a hand tapper tool.

I'll use a brand new fresh tap for the slide itself since I sure don't want to leave a broken tap in that. Lots of WD-40 every time I backed out the tap.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Metal Nibbler Two" is assembled. The PC I planned to use to run it doesn't have an LPT port. Oops. Tweaked a profile on my other computer and connected it to that one. I did a dry run on a helical cut and all seemed fine after recalculating the steps to match the TPI of the screws. Today I mounted a temporary spindle on it and cut some tests. Seems fine. I do think on any future machines I'll go with a larger screw and a stronger anti-backlash spring, but this one works like its supposed. Its going to get a new redesign of my dual spindle mount. I'm still mulling over the exact implementation. I want to set it up so I can adjust one spindle up and down to zero to the other one. I have two or three different ideas on how to do that. When I get that implemented I'll post a video. I've got a plug in EPP LPT port coming for the other computer Monday or Tuesday.

Reply to
Bob La Londe