hose fitting identify help

I bought this air hose reel and it says it is distributed by Costco UK.. So here begins the problem I guess, A short 3 ft hose is supplied for connection to the reel, the connection at the reel is male, has a tapered seat Inverted, threads outside, crude art below

| \ / |

The 3 ft hose has a swivel threaded body outside and the reverse of the seat inside.

I thought it was JIC, but usually not inverted like this. I can't figure out what this might be except possibly something called NPSM that outside thread does not seal but the cone seat seals it... I am trying to adapt this to NPT. I looked through mcmaster heavily and cannot I.D. it or found any adapters like this.

Thanks

Reply to
jeremy_ho

This sounds like a 50' chinese-made rubber air hose I bought at Sears a year ago, and returned a week later as useless. Or its mate.

I think that the fittings were those intended for oxygen hoses in fuel-oxygen torches, and theorize that Sears long ago laid off all the old farts who could tell a torch from a wrench, let alone a good one from a bad one, and the young female (cheap labor) MBA who now does the buying thought compressed air and oxygen must be the same thing: Like they *both* contain oxygen, don't they??? ... Don't they???

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Try a standard compression fitting like what is used on copper tubing. It's possible that it's the same threads.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

If the thread matches a standard pipe thread, this is most likely what you've got. It's not clear to me what connections you need to make. The swivels will mate with a pipe nipple or fitting that's prepared with an inside chamfer. I'm sure McMaster has what you need, but if you can't figure it out from the catalog take your parts to an industrial pneumatics/hydraulics distributor and they'll be able to fix you up.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Start by measuring the outside thread. If it's e.g. 9/16-18 then post that.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Not knowing the dimensions, it sounds like the old 1/4" paint spraying equipment fitting..---kinda like 1/4" pipe, but not quite.

Reply to
Jerry Wass

I think it is 3/8" NPSM, just need to check the threads at home, mcmaster does make air hoses like that (Page 212) so it's acceptable for compressed air use.

Quoting McMaster " female fittings have NPSM (National Pipe Straight Mechanical) threads, which are compatible with male NPT threads. Swivel fittings rotate 360=B0 for easy installation"

I don't understand, can I expect to thread a NPT male into a NPSM female swivel without a leak, it should seal when the NPT thread gets large enough in it's taper (maybe a couple of threads), it doesn't sound as good as having NPT to NPT joint. I guess don't subject this joint to too much vibrations I might be OK.

Reply to
jeremy_ho

Similar to a flare fitting, the seal is between the tapered nose of the swi= vel=20 and a chamfer on the ID of the male fitting, not on the threads. Though the= re=20 are better alternatives, this sort of fitting is common on hydraulic system= s,=20 so I wouldn't be at all concerned about using it for air.

To clarify the quote from McMaster; the joint swivels only to facilitate=20 assembly. It won't turn once the nut is tightened.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons