How clean for Locktite?

I am working on an old backhoe and need to replace some broken bolts that are threaded into the block. The internal threads have plenty of dirt and grease in them. Planning to run a tap in the holes. Then spray some carburetor cleaner in there and flush out the holes as best I can. Question is: When I reassemble with Loctite, will it grab and hold if there is still a little oil left? Or do the threads have to be squeaky clean for the Loctite to work? Thanks

Reply to
Chief McGee

||I am working on an old backhoe and need to replace some broken bolts that ||are threaded into the block. The internal threads have plenty of dirt and ||grease in them. Planning to run a tap in the holes. Then spray some ||carburetor cleaner in there and flush out the holes as best I can. || Question is: When I reassemble with Loctite, will it grab and hold if ||there is still a little oil left? Or do the threads have to be squeaky ||clean for the Loctite to work? Thanks

Carb cleaner should do, but I'd use brake cleaner instead. It's cheaper, puts out more volume per squirt, and is designed for degreasing. If possible, I'd hose it with brake cleaner, then immediately hit it with an air nozzle, then repeat. Wait 5 minutes before adding loctite. Also, Loctite makes an aerosol primer if you want more insurance.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Having the threads really clean will make a huge difference. Acetone or MEK work well. If these are threads that are hard to check and/or re-tighten then clean 'em up real well. Running that tap into the hole is a very good idea. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

The other plus of brake cleaner is that it is designed to not leave any residue. I use it to clean parts all the time before assemby or painting.

--G--

Reply to
George

I was able to find out that one of the formulae for brake cleaner (the better one, IMO) is 50/50 Xylol/Acetone. I bought a gallon of each at a local paint store and a Shure Shot spray can. The investment in the Shure Shot has long since been paid of by the huge savings in mixing my own from bulk. The Shure Shot is presurized with _clean_ shop air.

This solution gives me water break free cleaned surfaces.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards