How do ya sharpen a radiused cutter?

I have to put a 3/4 convex radius on the side of a side milling cutter. The tangent to side of cuuer is .250 from top. I also need to sharpen a convex 7/32 on top of another. We have a K. O. Lee radius dresser and I theoretically know how to get these radiuses on the grinding wheels.

I have somehow worked in 12 machine shops and never even seen one of these being used. I'd thought I'd ask here before spending alot of time learning the hard way. I'm having way too much of that kind of learning lately. Ken

Reply to
clannorm

\ You do NOT do this by dressing a grinding wheel, you do it by using a radius attachment on a tool & cutter grinder. Those are very spendy accessories. Suggest you farm it out to a pro.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Another way is with a profile grinder. I happen to have one in storage if any one is interested. I'll never have room to set it up in my shop.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

While that would be the best way to do the job, it can be done with a profiled wheel. Once the radius is established on the cutter, it must be relieved by hand, and very carefully, so you get to the edge, but don't destroy it. It's the kind of thing I'd expect most any of us home shop types to do in a pinch. Needless to say, it requires considerable skill, but it can be done.

There's a second option, too, one whereby you use a finger and establish the relief by plunge grinding with a slightly modified radius to compensate for the degree of error created by leaving center. It, too, would require lots of talent.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

--Sounds like time to build a Quorn! :-)

Reply to
steamer