How do I get Pro to give me a cable/pipe/wire length?

Hi all,

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. I'm doing machine design and on one end is a touchscreen for the operator and on the other end is the power and signal enclosure.

What kind of feature will give me a length using the std application in 2001? I've tried a datum curve in assy mode, a datum curve in part mode (which was copied from the assy curve) a swept protrusion in part mode

When selecting feature info, none of these gives me a length.

Thanks Mike Singer

Reply to
Pinbuoy

Analysis - curve analysis - length

will give you this info. Typically I end up forgetting to put one in so do a mass props calc, then work out the length from the cross section and volume, which I know is ridiculous, but I don't know a better way.

Reply to
John Wade

Or try 'Analysis>Measure>Curve/edge'. Pick Chain as Type, then pick first and last segments of chain. Compute.

This can also be used to measure a chain of tangent edges or edges around the outside of a surface patch.

David Janes

: > I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. : > I'm doing machine design and on one end is a touchscreen for the : > operator and on the other end is the power and signal enclosure. : >

: > What kind of feature will give me a length using the std application : > in 2001? : > I've tried a datum curve in assy mode, : > a datum curve in part mode (which was copied from the assy curve) : > a swept protrusion in part mode : >

: > When selecting feature info, none of these gives me a length. : >

: > Thanks : > Mike Singer : :

Reply to
David Janes

"> : Analysis - curve analysis - length

Or try 'Analysis>Measure>Curve/edge'. Pick Chain as Type, then pick first and last segments of chain. Compute.

- Like that one for instance. I'll use that, thanks.

Reply to
John Wade

If you want to get the names/lentghs in a report region use the following parameters:

&harn.run.name &harn.run.len

PS.use the harness of the wire as region model..

Reply to
Micke

When you do 'Info>Feature' on the pipe, it gives you a developed length for the total and segment lengths, including radiuses, for each segment.

It's a feature that I'm sure could have a lot of uses, but was introduced, without fanfare a rev or two ago and still is not well known.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes