How do I get Pro to give me a cable/pipe/wire length?

Hi all,
I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. I'm doing machine design and on one end is a touchscreen for the operator and on the other end is the power and signal enclosure.
What kind of feature will give me a length using the std application in 2001? I've tried a datum curve in assy mode, a datum curve in part mode (which was copied from the assy curve) a swept protrusion in part mode
When selecting feature info, none of these gives me a length.
Thanks Mike Singer
Analysis - curve analysis - length
will give you this info. Typically I end up forgetting to put one in so do a mass props calc, then work out the length from the cross section and volume, which I know is ridiculous, but I don't know a better way.

Or try 'Analysis>Measure>Curve/edge'. Pick Chain as Type, then pick first and last segments of chain. Compute.
This can also be used to measure a chain of tangent edges or edges around the outside of a surface patch.
David Janes
: > Hi all, : > : > I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. : > I'm doing machine design and on one end is a touchscreen for the : > operator and on the other end is the power and signal enclosure. : > : > What kind of feature will give me a length using the std application : > in 2001? : > I've tried a datum curve in assy mode, : > a datum curve in part mode (which was copied from the assy curve) : > a swept protrusion in part mode : > : > When selecting feature info, none of these gives me a length. : > : > Thanks : > Mike Singer : :
"> : Analysis - curve analysis - length

do a

volume,
Or try 'Analysis>Measure>Curve/edge'. Pick Chain as Type, then pick first and last segments of chain. Compute.
- Like that one for instance. I'll use that, thanks.
: Analysis - curve analysis - length : : will give you this info. Typically I end up forgetting to put one in so do a : mass props calc, then work out the length from the cross section and volume, : which I know is ridiculous, but I don't know a better way. : Actually, if you use the pipe feature (Insert>Advanced>Pipe), you don't need to do any measuring. You create a minimum of two points in either part or assembly mode. In part mode, you'll get solid geometry, but only a centerline in assembly mode. With single radius, you'll be prompted for a radius value at the third point (where it makes a bend) or at each successive bend with multi rad. The pipe can be either hollow or solid, if hollow, with a wall thickness.
When you do 'Info>Feature' on the pipe, it gives you a developed length for the total and segment lengths, including radiuses, for each segment.
It's a feature that I'm sure could have a lot of uses, but was introduced, without fanfare a rev or two ago and still is not well known.
David Janes
If you want to get the names/lentghs in a report region use the following parameters:
&harn.run.name &harn.run.len
PS.use the harness of the wire as region model..