Spring Name?

So what do you call a spiralled torsion spring like clock mainspring? A spiralled spring? Is there a more common, clearer name?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Clock spring" is the term I've seen most often. David

Reply to
David Courtney

"Tim Wescott" wrote: (clip) Is there a more common, clearer name? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I've always heard them called "helical springs."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

An old text I have "Mechanical Design of Machines" (Siegel, Maleev, Hartman) calls them "spiral springs". They are a special case of the helical spring with the angle of the helix zero.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany