Damped Torsion Spring?

Hello to all,

I am in the process of designing a box with a slow opening function and would like to employ a torsion spring with a dampener (similar to the unfolding M-tronic calculator) Does anybody know of a source for a damped torsion spring or something that could produce a similar function thats easy to get a hold of?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
scorsi

How big of a box? How heavy is the lid?

John

Reply to
JohnM

If it's relatively small, you can probably use a regular style hinge design lubed with "damping grease" and the torsion spring to make it "ooze" open. That's what's used in little things like calculator lids. I don't know how large an item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye could likely tell you.

The J.M. Nye company makes damping greases. I don't know how large an item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye could likely tell you.

This page describes a sample kit of these types of greases:

With the right approach, you might be able to "schnorr" enough from them as a free sample to do what you need to do.

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Machinerys Handbook gives you formulas to make your own torsion springs from spring wire. Used it on my page here, although a bit larger scale:

Richard J Kinch

Neat! Noted and logged!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I probably should have defined "schnorr" for those not familiar with that particular German/Yiddish expression:

In my college daze in the 50s a buddy and I got letterhead printed up bearing a realistic looking but non-specific company name. We used it to request free samples from parts manufacturers. Back in those days our hobby projects were mainly building vacuum tube "Hi Fi" equipment, which often included quite a few "schnorred" components.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I meant the grease. :

Reply to
Don Foreman

Many Thanks to you Jeff. good info will pursue...

Steve

Reply to
scorsi