How do you get a keensert out?

There's a bin with some aluminum cutoffs with hard steel bushings and
Keenserts inserts in them. I can just press out the bushings, but is
there a less wasteful way of getting the keenserts out without breaking
too much stuff, or should I just go ahead and press them out, and to
heck with the aluminum that gets entrained in the threads?
It's for recycling, and I have lots of spare time here, so "how long
it takes" isn't a consideration, but there is no budget for new tools.
Meanwhile, the PHB is shopping around for a scrapper who will take
aluminum with all that crap in it - I figure I can make his job a
little easier - take out the steel and whatever keenserts are made
of, and get full scrap price for the aluminum. :-)
(and maybe save the bushings in the "misc. hard steel" bin. ;-))
Thanks!
Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
You take keenserts out with a drill, punch and ezout tool..
look at the last page of the pdf.
Reply to
tnik
I'll have to check on the EZout, but otherwise, I'm all set. >:->
Thanks! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
Left hand drill bits. If they come out, good. If not you drill them out. BIG difference in scrap price from "dirty" to "clean"
Reply to
clare
2nd this route. BTW, I HATE EASY OUTS. Damn things normally just expand your part and then break off in it. Then you are FUBAR
Reply to
Karl Townsend
+1. Bloody things.
JB