"How it's made" - brushes

I was just watching the "How it's made" show that featured brushes made on machines made by my friends at Carlson Tool. I have 14 of their machines all used for making wire scratch brushes but the same basic machines were shown making push brooms and scrub brushes. If you saw the show you can understand the process as the producers did a pretty good job explaining the basic operations.

John Carlson is the third generation owner and one of the most brilliant engineers I've ever known, and an avid fisherman. When he comes to town to visit I save all his cocktail napkin drawings as they are pure gold ideas. I've even had the privilege of having him steal a few of my ideas.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

machines made by my friends at

brushes but the same basic

you can understand the process

engineers I've ever known, and an

drawings as they are pure gold

I was watching that episode and wondering if you used the same machines. Pretty dang impressive. How it's Made has some pretty good stuff. The fluorescent light bulb episode and the V6 engine episode were particularly impressive.

Reply to
Pete C.

machines made by my friends at

brushes but the same basic

show you can understand the

engineers I've ever known, and an

napkin drawings as they are pure

Yes, I saw those too. I was trying to figure out what company was making the brooms, I know most everyone in the industry. The machine they were using needed a few adjustments, the staple wasn't going high enough in the jaws and was slightly snagging the stock. I could see the wild loose ends on the finished brush before it is trimmed. And, the jaws stopped about 1/8" above the block, they should just kiss the block on either side of the hole. They risk not seating the staple fully and skewing the staple if it hits the top or bottom edge of the hole. I'll find out who the company is and give them some friendly crap.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

OK, you caught me. I'm guilty of watching little to no TV and haven't heard of this show. Who has it and when?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

In the US it runs on various Discovery Networks channels, mostly the Discovery Channel and the Science Channel. It's a Canadian production so in the earlier seasons most of the places they showed were in Canada, but in later seasons they've been showing a lot in the US and possibly elsewhere. It's a 30 minute program format and they cover three different items per episode, so it's a pretty fast overview of how the item is made which sometimes leads to the narration not quite matching what's being shown, but generally it's pretty good. There is more info and episode scheduled on the Discovery web site.

Reply to
Pete C.

Further to the above, in addition to it being a Canadian production, it is a FRENCH Canadian production, ported over to the anglo side of the house, via translation, at least for the early episodes, so you can expect to see the odd misuse of terminology, such as, for instance, having the narrator describing how the welding machine "solders" the parts together. Translators with a technical background are not common, apparently. :-)

They get into some pretty neat stuff!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones