"How it's Made" -Toothbrushes

I just saw the show, I didn't know they made it. Pretty cool, good filmography, lighting and special effects. I wish they would have shown the machinery better, they only showed the picking and jaws. Now, imagine doing that with .016" tempered wire. Those guys must be brilliant!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Every time I watch that show I wish they would make a number of them just on all the work on coming up with the process and building the production machines.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

What network is that on?

Reply to
clutch

GeorgeD

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 04:39:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Guys who brush their teeth with 0.016" tempered wire aren't brilliant, Tawm. They're toothless.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Apparently, originally on the Science Channel but lately it's been on the Discovery channel. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Neat show. They typically do 4 different "items" per show. Pretty complete overview of the process, but not a lot of detail, and some of the stuff they say isn't exactly correct. IIRC, the show with the toothbrushes was how they build: Two string nylon kites, Steel eyeglass frames, faux bonsai trees, and toothbrushes.

Toothbrushes----good one. The part they kind of rushed over that I would like to see in detail is the little piece of wire that is wrapped around each bundle of bristles to keep them together. You can see it when the bristles are pulled out in the testing machine. Considering that the bristle bundles are being inserted at near light speed, the part of the process that wraps four turns of wire around each bristle bundle has got to be running at about warp 3.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Can't stand the music, puts me regularly to sleep. If I'm interested I have to turn the volume off.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Tom,

They do a decent bit on the making of various brushes. All the brushes and brooms are fiber, not metal. They also show how the various wooden blocks are made up. The machine that drills the blocks and inserts the fibers is neat to watch. Next time my computer records that episode I'll send it to you. They repeat fairly often.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Thanks, I only caught the toothbrushes and not the whole clip. I'd make a vid about making brushes and building the machines but it would look like three monkeys trying to f*ck a football.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Agreed, it's like The Price Is Right music on acid.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

saw the episode about hypodermic needles this afternoon. wow, i had no idea hypodermic needles were so hand-labor intensive. i would've guessed they were mass produced/just pumped out in massive quantities. drawing the hollow needle tube was pretty amazing, again, i'd've imagined they drew the stuff out in 20 foot lengths, looked like it was maybe 2 foot lengths MAYBE.

Reply to
William Wixon

What drives me nuts about that show though is the cheap translations they do on the voice over. if you handt guesses the show was originally called "Comment c'est fait" and was done for the french science channel. the thing that drives me bonkers about a lot of episodes is they take the french script send it to a translation service amd come back with it in "english"

Grammatically correct english but WRONG and the show did NOT run the translation by an english speaker in the industry or back where is came from.

one of the most glaring ones is the use of the word solder. In french Welding Soldering and Brazing are all called "soldering" and a welder is a Solderer. But to specify you say "Soudure a TIG" "Soudure a l'Arc" and so on.

More than anything a little bit of attention to detail and a check back in the industry would have caught that and the show missed it for at least several seasons.

Reply to
Brent

On 27 Feb 2007 00:06:07 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Brent" quickly quoth:

It sounds as if they cheaped out and hit Babblefish.com instead. (Yes, I know it's babelfish, but this fit better. ;)

-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques