Mythbusters sighting

So after work, I drove out to the airport to do a little work on my airplane. I keep it at a rural airport that is small and quiet.
As I'm driving up to my hanger, I see a guy walking up the road towards me. He wearing a leather jacket, a beret, and has a red beard.
I've seen this guy somewhere. I stop the car and wait for him to walk by me. I'm sure it's the guy. I ask him, "aren't you the Mythbusters guy?", He replies, "yes, I am". He's Jamie Hyneman, cohost of Mythbusters. I get out and shake his hand and tell him I like his show. He seems tired and uninterested, so I don't pursue him. He says they are finishing up a shoot. I presume that it must have something to do with parachutes or skydiving since the airport has a world-class skydiving school.
Airport is 2Q3, Yolo County, California
Pretty strange huh?

Pretty strange dicks, imo. There is a lot of production pressure in these shows, and I think many involved need a big stiff drink at the end of each day to wind down. Tired and disinterested indeed. I've seen motivational speakers at the end of the day, and you'd think they were homeless or sumpn, the way the wander around aimlessly. Proly serves them right.
I think the concept of that show is great, and except for those two assholes I think a lot of the cast is interesting, some of the "experiments" intriguing and educational. But the writers/producers have, once again, found a way to make the audience grovel for crumbs of what might otherwise be decent educational entertainment, and essentially ruin a good concept.
Just not worth it. And stretching out each denouement to the end of the show is just effing insulting. I SED (E=enough) each day, I don't need to plaster my lips to the TV screen as well. Goodgawd....
--
------
    --Sigh, what you said. I still miss Junkyard Wars when it was in its heyday, where you could learn something new and useful every few minutes!

I'm also jealous of those two assholes' shop--an effing airplane hangar! They might even have some cnc... Really a lot of good stuff in that show, if I could just keep from up-chucking.
--
------

Yeah, I get jealous of guys who get paid to do what they do, particularly if you understand all the auxiliary equipment and personnel off camera and back stage. They show a lot of the finished products, but don't show the machining work and expensive equipment it takes. All those adhesives, epoxy and ballistics gel, and special effects components ain't cheap, either.
Pretty soon they will be like OCC and have the water cutting machine and CNC wheel mill, etc. Same thing. They don't show the fifty people working off camera and behind the walls.
Steve

In Mythbusters defense they do attempt to show some of the off camera help from time to time. However thats not who people are tuning in to watch. People watch OCC because they're so dysfunctional its funny (or sad, depends on how you look at it) so they get ratings and thus more air time.
Complain about the PEOPLE not the shows.

OOps. My bad. Next time I'll check with you first.
Steve

and

working

I believe the whole Mythbusters concept has just about run its course.
They - like Mike Rowe in Dirty Jobs - are now strongly soliciting ideas from their audience.
If one can judge from past audience-driven shows, we should not expect award-winning scientific concepts and ideas.
At least the people involved with "Wing Nuts" had the decency to quit when the concept started to go stale, and they did NOT exploit the suicide of one of the main characters.
Imagine what American Chopper would do with the suicide of Mikey or Paul - either Sr. or Jr.
wrote

Indeed. These are major production efforts, deceptive in many ways, to the extent that they are passed off as DIY stuff, or, Oh, We just dashed this off, we're so brite and cute.... Yeah, with 50 muthafuckas humping in the background, yer brite and cute....
Way way back in the This Old House days, before this HGTV shit went absolutely out of control, even back then they had some "behind the scenes shows", which basically fessed up to the homeshow diy-fixit bidniss being a fraud: It took multiple multiple takes just to get simple simple shit done, almost to the point of ineptness. Yeah, it's funny, sort of, to see these assholes fuck up time after time, but less funny when you grok the implications, the deception.
Shit can be made to appear simple, but it is generally not simple. Einstein: If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it. This design-on-a-dime stuff, where their crew builds furniture/chochkees right then and there, how much preparation was involved in that? Weeks, I'll bet. Without insight into the preparation/planning/thinking process, you lose probably about 90% of what could be taught or learned.
There was stuff you could learn, but mostly what you lernt was just what existed, no real improvement on what it was you yourself could do. Too much sleight of hand. There were some interesting people, who could educate and provide insight into the whole process. Christopher Lloyd, Lynette Jennings in the early HGTV days are now gone, a cupla other real woodworkers in the This Old House days were gone long ago. We, The Pubic, have essentially voted for what we now have. I'm not sure how that vote gets tabulated, cuz my vote certainly wadn't counted, but whatever....
It would be sumpn, tho, if in fact the Pubic didn't vote, and we've just been Unilaterally Mindfucked by the powers that be.
With the HGTV sleight of hand nowadays, you might as well just watch a Copperfield show. Nowadays, it's more of a really good mind-fucking that ensures you will try to keep up with the Joneses, even imaginary Joneses, at virtually any cost. I'll never forget the smug twit in her 3-story vaulted ceiling bathroom. Just how much grandeur does one need, in which to take a dump and cough up a leungi?
This Old House set the real estate assfucking in motion, with HGTV ramping it up to 10 on the Richter scale, and is a major reason why your kids will be staying home with you until they're about 45.
I think it is also a subtler dumbing down/"competing up" of America, without really being obvious about it. Altho there is no real need to be coy: Look at Paris Hilton in The Simple Life, or I Love New York, or GrowinUpfuknGotti. The architects of these obscenities pretty much announce, revel in their contempt of the viewing audience.
The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but at least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to be good-looking to make it on the very small screen. goodgawd.... I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much drunk/out of it. Man, *I* need a drink now....
--
------
<snip>

Wow, someone had his wheaties pissed in today.
So exactly what do you consider to be a good 'science' show??
Bill
Bill wrote:

There aren't any any more.
But as a kid I shue did love Mr Wizard.
<snip>

A while back one of the science channels had a marathon of those and I recorded all of them on DVD. I'd like to sit down and watch them with the kids but just haven't had the time.
Bill

Piss in my wheaties I proly wouldn't really mind--proly wouldn't even notice. It's the raisins in my raisin bread that aren't really raisins that get me.... :)
Super-excellent Q, with I think an inneresting answer: (Mebbe print this out and read it on the throne, or sumpn...)
First, recall Beakman's World, which I used to watch Sat mornings, along with Ernest P. World (the extraordinarily talented Jim Varney), with the Wife, in my 30's. What a treat! Extraordinarily well/artfully done, interesting and very informative sci-wise, and hilarious.
Reminded me of SnagglePuss, which I think my mom loved more than I did--along with other cartoons that were able to incorporate sophisticated adult humor into childrens' format. Rocky/Bullwinkle (Boris/Natasha), Betty Boop (and those very adult insinuations.... not to mention the subliminal frames of nude Betty, before the censors caught on!), and many others.
The bottom line is, regardless of whether it is science, art, music, whatever, there is basically one right way to do it: With an eye toward the aesthetic high road, that almost invariably *elevates* the viewer, even if the viewer isn't exactly thrilled with the product. Good food that may not always taste good, but certainly can, when prepared correctly. Iow, a product/result driven by the convictions of the scientist/artist, regardless of the economic payoff. Read: without probing the mind of consumer, searching for the absolute lowest common denominator.
Vs. all other roads, which are basically avenues of some level of manipulation/mindprobing-fucking. Food that almost invariably tastes effing great, but is invariably bad for you, to one degree or another. Give dat flavor chemist a Nobel Prize.
Which is why jazz musicians starve, whilst Madonna's Borderline (mebbe more recognizable as Bo'do'lahn), without one fukn musician on the track (basically a canned ditty), sold millions. I-IV-V, jack.
There was an era, I believe, when commercial interests could and did coincide with aesthetic truths--altho rarely in finance, but mebbe even then, occasionally the notion of the Greater Good might have snuck in.
Most of published science/research is manipulative shit with unresolvable conflicts of interest. Even stuff in peer-reviewed mathematics journals is suspect, in part due to the very process of peer-review and the turf therein. I read a fantastic expose of the peer-review process, kick myself for losing it.
It is about getting the consumer addicted to junk food in all its embodiments: junk culture, junk concepts, junk art/music/""literature"", junkTV, junk humor, junk science, junk relationships, junk existence, and inurring sed consumer to basically cannibalizing his fellow citizens.
It was one thing when Big Bidniss ass-fucked us. It's another when we do it to each other, in part by being such willing pawns--think of the self-humiliation in game shows, which started 5 seconds after the first TV broadcast. goodgawd, I'd slit my wrists before I would ever sink to that level....
Which segues (chaotically meanders?) to a final very important point.
Intellectuals are basically road kill for the Fanatic: Yer local KKKmen, Aryan Brotherhood, super religious Christian right, jihadic muslims, the whole spectrm of deranged/fanatic muthafuckas.
But what these deranged groups have, that the Intellectual is sorely missing, is *passion and a call to action*, a willingness/honor to sacrifice for their moronic causes. Which, unfortunately, is fueled by hatred, fear, and multiple hidden agendas/deficiencies, in the groups above.
If Intellectuals had this kind of passion and self-sacrifice, instead of day-trading and talking shit at SoHo art galleries, jerking themselves off in Mensa meetings, sipping fuknStarbucks, and profiling themselves at Lincoln Center, we probably wouldn't be in a cultural meltdown.
Now, the Intellectual can sort of fend off some of the more flagrant efforts of fanatics, and might even be able to get references to God removed from our currency and courtrooms, might be able to prolong Roe v. Wade a little longer, cupla other fav causes.
But they *cannot* fend off the New Moneyed Predatory and Low Class, which is, basically, Congress and the Power Brokers, who relentlessly erode our culture and society, who PV us up to the ileocecal valve and then tell us it's just a colonoscopy, for our collective colonic well-being. Congress is now little more than Mafia children sent to Harvard Bidniss/Liarw School, who in some sense take a few cues from the NYC/Chicago Mafias, and mebbe even from the Aryan Brotherhood.
All because, basically, intellectuals are dickless, determined above all else to preserve their oh-so precious Starbucks lifestyle. And are often corrupt themselves. And/or foot-shooting knowitalls.
It is, in fact, tough to be philosophically astute, and a tough trench/back-alley fighter.
Mythbusters, now, is what is considered entertainment for the quasi-intellectual. And you gotta eat considerable shit for that dubious viewing privilege. goodgawd.... And mebbe a little Charlie Rose, replete with utterly gratuitous blowings of Bob Nardelli (HD carpet-bagger, and savior of modern society), P. Diddy (another cultural savior) et al.
Which will proly all be moot, anyway, because the mind-alteration of our youth is profound and insidious. They are being programmed into a focused egocentric cult that probably can never be de-programmed. It is reminiscent of our bankrupt legal system, where the adversarial ethic is so powerful that we just accept that whoever wins is right, no matter how low either side stoops, and reward them accordingly. OJ raised a few eyebrows, but absolutely nothing has changed as a result. And it dudn't matter whether it's high-profile criminal stuff, or run-of-the-mill civil matters.
The point being, the New Zeitgeist will be totally self-absorbed muthafuckas throwing elbows, jockeying for some/any limelight, and no matter the how/who/where/what/when/price/tactics of achieving it, whoever does achieve it will be thusly communally blown. A la Parisite Hilton.
We have simply lost our discriminatory powers. We all eat at a long trough, filled with slop.
Proly, in nitty gritty terms, the waving red flag of our defunct culture is the extraordinary number of broadcast hours devoted to televised Poker. And tele-evangelism. And abs..... And a garish Paris& Harlots et al... GoodEffingGawd..... I thought televised golf and Bob Hope were bad.... I had no idea.....
Bartender....
--
------
<snip>

<snip> I'll dig through the rest of the post later, read it once, scratched head, read it again, smacked head to make sure it was working, read it a last time and decided I needed more time to coagulate it into a cognative thought ;)
I will, on the other hand, discuss Beakman!! Great show, why Bill Nye the Science Guy kept a show a Paul Zaloom did not I'll never know. They are re- airing it on Fox and I've been TIVOing it so my girls can watch it. They love it, especially Lester. My middle kid wanted to write a letter to Beakman and was disappointed when she was told the show was no longer being made.
Bill

Mebbe if you take some of the meds I was on when I wrote it..... :)

And I think that with just a little more aesthetic concern, and with a little less desire to mind-fuck the Pubic for fun and profit, we could have many many more efforts like Beakman, Ernest P World, and a cupla others I forgot. There are truly talented people out there, and it must be an exquisite torture to know that you and your comrades are capable of such quality and truly valuable stuff, with nowadays absolutely no outlet for it, no real appreciation of it. Ditto the University experience. I can count on a crooked left hand the professors who were worth a dump. 99% are riding the coattails of the system. Fuck them.
--
------
<snip> > The point being, the New Zeitgeist will be totally self-absorbed

Man, you're winding that stem today. Here, put your feet up, relax with that drink, and read a little Tom Wolfe:
http://www.portfolio.com/executives/features/2007/04/16/The-Pirate-Pose
--
Ed Huntress

I'm with you on that one!
And for the Mythbuster guys - they goof up some times, everyone does. They are just a bit geeky and university driven for a TV cast.
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
steamer wrote:

I'll be honest i LOOK For geek TV
how many other geeks can come CLOSE to identifying with a tv show anymore?
not beautiful people not stupid either make mistakes let their audience call them on mistakes REPEATEDLY (chicken cannon)
I like the concept i hope it get cancelled before its too "television" for my tastes
and the funniest thing it i WATCHED Grant in the battlebots he won i REMEMBER Deadblow. I remember watching battlebots and robot wars before the new slew of discovery channel shows
    --Agreed, it's now the best game in town, but lately it seems like a mighty small town, heh. I'm still waiting for the machinist equivalent of New Yankee Workshop to pop up on DIY. Any takers?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Mitch is out there - hum - CNC mill and welding and 3p and... projects for the new place but on the TV paid for by the show!