OT-Aircraft dogfights?

I am not an aviation type. But I have been wondering about this for a long time. It may just have been something the movies came up with but I thought I would ask.

In real life, if the lead (enemy) plane went into a canyon to lose the chasing plane, why would the chasing plane go in also? Wouldn't it just be smarter to fly above the canyon trailing the guy and wait for him to come out?

I am specifically referring to the dogfight in the movie "Independence Day", but I have seen similar scenes in other movies. Other than making the scene more exciting for the audience, it really doesn't seem smart to me. Just like in the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie, when Indy triggers that rolling ball in the beginning. If he had just dropped to the floor when he first noticed it, it would have passed over him. Not very cinematic, but much safer.

Thanks, Russ

Reply to
russ

on 9/11/2009 1:35 AM (ET) russ wrote the following:

In the movies, why do people running from cars, run down the middle of the street?

Reply to
willshak

Generally, in real life, unless you know the particular canyon or at least that portion of it, flying into canyons is not a good idea, lest you end up in a blind canyon & that canyon wall climbs faster than the airplane. Flying into canyons in a helo is a bit different.

Reply to
frank

James Bond films, particularly the older ones, start with him on a previous mission doing some impossible stunt to come out on stop or survive to fight onther day, and then the titles role.

Now imagine a realistic James Bond film. He tries to do that impossible stunt, it doesn't work and he gets smeared over the mountainside.

Troble is the realistic film is only 2 minutes long, how many are going to pay to see that.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4416 (20090911) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" James Bond films, particularly the older ones, start with him on a

If it were Rosie O'Donnell smacking the wall and the ticket money went to a legitimate charity - I'd consider it. Even more so if she did the stunt herself.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

It is a cinematic axiom that a woman in flight will invariably fall to the ground, often injuring her ankle in the process, usually resulting in her assailant closing the distance to either capture her or force her to conceal herself.

If you've ever seen a woman truly in fearful flight, like say as a result of a prank scare, a starving leopard couldn't catch many of them.

WmB

Reply to
WmB
?

And remember this is after going into a dark room alone and not turning the light on first.... oh and also wearing a negligee.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

In the WW2 and just pre-war serials the bad guy flew into a canyon because there was a hidden airfield there, a part of the mountain would open up as a hanger door and he would fly into it :-)

Seems to me I read a book WAY after the war that had such a hidden airport on Taiwan.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

you left out, after the villian/monster tears her top off so we can watch her implants bounce...

Reply to
eyeball

Your observation is correct, but doesn't account for human nature - which is to follow or fixate on a leader or target. "Tunnel vision".

Yeah...a smart pilot would not follow a bogey at low level into a canyon. For a lot of reasons, but mainly because there could be no place to turn, extend, or escape if required.

But - in the heat of a fight, if the shooter is saddled and fixated, the bogey may be able to draw him into such a situation as a coordinated defensive strategy...where his wingman could then drop in from above and pop a series of heavy-duty caps in him. Or if the bogey has a turn advantage, that would force the shooter to climb...and he could end up behind the former shooter...if he chooses the right moment/place to reverse.

So could it happen? Yes. Would it happen often? Not likely.

Reply to
Rufus

...a friend of mine got killed a few years ago in a canyon in a helo...rotor strike.

It's not THAT different.

Reply to
Rufus

russ said the following on 11/09/2009 06:35:

In the film world you can hear in space, a distant explosion is heard at the same time as seen and all other sense goes out of the window.

You'd have thought the pilots in that film would have looked at enough of the older dogfight films to take note that great chunks were being taken out of the wing and engine within seconds of the pilot forgetting to either use his mirror or look over his shoulder.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

The chaser was an alien and not very bright?

Except he would have been trapped in the temple with no way out.

Reply to
The Old Man

Only if Rosanne Barr and Barry Manilowe were each holding on to her ankles......

Reply to
The Old Man

WmB wrote: : :> In the movies, why do people running from cars, run down the middle of the :> street? : Because the cabbies drive on the sidewalks. Everybody knows that! : : If you've ever seen a woman truly in fearful flight, like say as a result of : a prank scare, a starving leopard couldn't catch many of them. : Well, of course not. The leopard is starving, after all!

And, if this is your idea of fun, you must not have any hearing. Villians neither, for that matter...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

The Old Man wrote: : : Only if Rosanne Barr and Barry Manilowe were each holding on to her : ankles...... : Oh god, you have to go and mention "Barely Man-enough". Besides, last time I saw a photo of Rosanne Barr, she looked like she could anchor nuclear powered aircraft carriers...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I've heard of those in Switzerland. It's part of the strategy to make them highly expensive to take.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

Bodo in Norway has one. Not that the aircraft fly into it. They land first and taxy into it.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Wasn't that where Gary Powers flew from ?

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

A lot of carnard designs have swept wings.

See these examples

Obviously most are protoypes but the Beech Starship is production at least.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4419 (20090912) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>