OT-Aircraft dogfights?

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk> A lot of carnard designs have swept wings.

Most canards have swept wings in the interest of lateral (yaw) stability, and not speed - hence the lower angle of sweep. Note that the moment arm aft of the CG for a canard design is particularly short - which would require a huge fin/rudder (having the rudder ahead of the CG is a divergent configuration).

By sweeping the wings, not only can the designer aid CG location, but can also generate a bit of arm by placing the vertical fin area on the wings - farther out on the span being better. Rutan's Long EZ is another example; vertical surfaces at the wing tips -

BTW - the Beach Starship was also a Rutan design.

Reply to
Rufus

Sorry - wrong thread.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4419 (20090912) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

One thing to keep in mind is that with CGI most movie companies use helicopters to perform the "mule" tasks for the CGI aircraft to perform in the film. I have yet to see any conventional aircraft perform stunts like that, even in clear air space.

The best (or worst) examples appear to be the appaling "Pearl Harbor" in which the P-40 can outfly not only Zeroes but nearly every other aircraft ever made, and "Flyboys" in which the WW I fighters are more aerobatic than any real ones.

Go to an airshow some time -- especially one with replica WW I fighters, and watch how they REALLY fly.

In CGI world anything is possible...

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

I seem to remember hearing that they used radio control models extensively in "Battle of Britain", as well as real aircraft.

I seem to recall hearing that Dave Platt was involved, but I can't find him in the credits on imdb -

Rufus

The He-111 that crashes into the sea (numerous times) with a control cable trailing, was definitely an RC model, as were the numerous Ju-87s which explode in mid-air.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I remember spotting the Stukas as models right away.

Reply to
Rufus

on 9/12/2009 4:39 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote the following:

I live within an hour of the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in NY.

haven't been there in many years, tho. They have a lot of WWI aircraft that they fly and put on shows. It was amazing how short a runway those WWI aircraft needed to take off.

Reply to
willshak

I have vague memories of reading some where about a prop attack plane suckering a mig fighter jet into following it to where it could climb over an upcoming mountain and the Mig couldn't

Reply to
Val Kraut

"Val Kraut" wrote in news:4aac56ff$0$22520 $ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

It was Rudel in his Stuka. Apparently the Stuka could outturn the Russkie and flew him into the ground.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Did the Russians have an OPERATIONAL jet by war's end?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk> A lot of carnard designs have swept wings.

WAS in production. Then Beech decided to scrap it. The story I heard is that they brought back all of them and destroyed them.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Yes - the Me 262. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I think Rutan/Scaled Composites has one - and that it's the only one left flying.

I used to see one at the Las Vegas airport from time to time.

Reply to
Rufus

See

He's the guy that owns Starship NC-51 that was the chase plane for Rutan's SpaceShip One. Most Starships were leased, have have been reclaimed by Beech (as noted).

He's also the guy that, according to the History Channel show, bought up most of the available spare components from Beech

Reply to
OldSchool

What- did they capture German ones?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

At least a helo can stop, hover & climb straight up & out.

Reply to
frank

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Which would only make them a bit easier to go to guns on...

...and it also depends on the weather. Particularly the down drafts in said canyon. And a helo can't always hover - ability to hover is dependent on gross weight and operating altitude. And temperature.

Not to mention that hovering against a slope is probably one of the single hardest things to do in a helo...so I've been told by helo pilots.

...personally, if I was flying a fast mover I'd hang back, go to burner, and simply boom the snot out of a helo in a close pass. Then turn on him and gun down anything that was left in the air. Or maybe even on the ground.

Reply to
Rufus

But wasn't that postwar stuff?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

A longer version of the video is presented here with a caption

"Messerschmidt Me 262 "Donnervogel" captured by russians after WW2" I don't know of, and can't find any references to, any Russian operation of Me-262's against Germany.

Skyraiders shot down two MiG-17's in Vietnam. Prop-vs-jet victory.

Reply to
Alan Dicey