Semi OT- good aviation scanner for not a lot of $

Been thinking about getting a scanner for aviation frequencies but don't want to spend an arm or a leg or both. Anybody out there use one they like?

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Bruce Apple

Erm Bruce m8, I think he means a Radio Scanner to pick up ATC transmissions and the like, but I'm thinking of buying a scanner for scanning in pics and drawings & decals so your input is most timely and welcome !

Regards Simon :-)

Reply to
SiG

Jim, I'm a CFII, so let me put my .02 cents in and charge you 25 for the hour ;-)

Grnated, it may have been in the good old days, but I picked up a good kx-99 off e-bay 8 years ago when I was a student pilot. I only bring that up becasue a good used transceivor can be had for the same price as a new scanner. And if you ever think about later getting into flying, they are one of the best backup pieces of equipment you can have.

Sportys' scanner is not bad. Sub 100, and even radio Shack may still have a multi-band scanner. For goodd fun too, look for one with UHF andd you can pick up some of the mil traffic too.

Is there anyhting particular that you are looking at as far as how you want to use it?

Rich

Reply to
Rich