Wildfire 4, for those who've been wondering

The tentative WF4 ship date:

For those who don't have an account, it's 14 March '08.

Reply to
Janes

Dave,

That is for M010. F000 was released two weeks ago. Downloaded it yesterday.

Ben

Reply to
Ben & Mickie Loosli

Umm, BTW, what is F000? the fubar version? It's not the official production release which begins with Mxxx.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

The F000 release is the First official production release of any PTC product. The Cxxx releases are pre-production and WF4 had 2, C000 and C010. The Mxxx releases are Maintenance fixes to the F000 production release. In the case of Wildfire, any release can be loaded from the CD's without prior builds being installed. Windchill Mxxx releases usually require the base F000.

Reply to
Ben & Mickie Loosli

Thanks for setting me straight; good insider stuff and a basically sensible coding scheme for releases.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

It means you're a Foo' if you use it.

Reply to
graminator

It means you're a Foo' if you use it.

________________________ Hey, if ya got maintenance, start early, upgrade often and frag PTC with bug reports. (Alternate strategy: wait a year).

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

I "admin" about 6 seats. I downloaded and burned the WF4 CDs onto one DVD (which works great BTW) and loaded it on my computer and gave the DVD to a computer-capable coworker who is the Mechanica guru.

The agreement was we'd test it for a few weeks then roll it out to the others. We've done this before, and since we don't tend to get too wild in complexity we've been a very early production adopter with new revs.

Apparently today said co-worker's co-worker borrowed the DVD and received no warning that we're in beta. For a full week he's been using WF4 on his project files, and of course those files cannot be read/edited by anyone else. The good news is he works Pro/E pretty hard and has had no problems.

So it looks like we'll go live on F000 starting next week sometime

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Good point! This is a more common experience since the early years of this decade when PTC instituted more stringent beta testing and code debugging. We go weeks without a crash on Dells running XP Pro. Plus, PTC has lengthened their releasing cycle time, instead of racing to market with half-baked product. The difference is quite noticeable to people who remember the "stable, reliable" Unix days which crashed only once a day. Now the challenge is even greater as networks try to integrate Pro/e, Windchill PDMLink, a Java app, IE Browser, email notification and several data and app servers, all playing nice together. In all of this, Pro/e is the minor headache.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

________________________

Frag? Don't you mean carpet bomb?

Good strategy either way though.

Bill

Reply to
CADaholic

Funny! I'm up to pulling the pin and tossing a grenade now and then, but one guy can do only so much. Collectively, corporatively, it probably amounts to a massive assault when serious bugs are encountered and LOTS of people respond. Something to think about as you consider filing a bug report or enhancement request: they're sensitive to the stats and pay attention to the numbers piling up; people lose jobs when the good numbers stay flat or drop and the bad numbers rise.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Maybe we could all agree in future to file reports at the same time?

Reply to
graminator