Problems Downloading Wildfire 4.0 Tryout Edition

I am having problems downloading Wildfire 4.0 Tryout Edition . I have tried the input from PTC on how to fix the problem, but still I can't download. During download I get the error, missing cab files. I followed the PTC instructions to disable AV, Firewall and check the internet connection. Any other ideas?

Reply to
edge

This sounds like an install problem, not especially a download problem. = Download to a very simple directory off the root folder like JUNK, then = run the install from there. Folder names are often a reason it can't = find things. It could be a reason it can't even download them. PTCSetup = was historically stymied, following UNIX conventions, by file/folder = names with spaces in them; also by file names longer than some arbitrary = length, like 28 characters.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Although I do not know how to fix this problem, it might help you to know that few weeks back I also faced similar problem "missing cab files" while Pro/E Wildfire 4.0 tryout edition install setup program tries to download "lot of stuff". Only solution I can suggest is to try again (Whenever you are feeling lucky :-)).

It would have been nice if installer program can print useful message in case internet connection is lost and also time estimate to complete the installation. Here's is what I remember in case anyone else is contemplating to install the 4.0 TE.

Installer (.exe file) ~= 40 MB Installer program will download addition files/data/code = at least

200 MB
Reply to
vijay patil

So, did you finally install successfully? Any other trouble we should = know about? Are you supposed to uninstall other versions of Pro/e to run = the tryout version?

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

I tried it myself. Used the second option, to download two zip files, = extract and run the equivalent of CD from there. Worked OK except for = PTC genius novelties like getting creative about how to browse to files. = When I figured that out, the whole thing finished in 15 minutes after = downloading. It even did something flawlessly that it's had trouble with = in the past, namely generating a license file. There was an FAQ, = referenced below, that mentions the CAB file problem.

Now let's see if the thing runs and whether it screwed up my other Pro/e = installation.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

and run the equivalent of CD from there. Worked OK except for PTC genius novelties like getting creative about how to browse to files. When I figured that out, the whole thing finished in 15 minutes after downloading. It even did something flawlessly that it's had trouble with in the past, namely generating a license file. There was an FAQ, referenced below, that mentions the CAB file problem.http://www.ptc.com/for/education/tryout_faq.htm>

Thanks for checking this out. Haven't tried it again yet. My license expired before I even got it installed, so I have to get the license reset. My install also generated a license file, but I still had the problem. PTC was of no help really. I did all the recommended fixes for the missing CAB file fix, but still no luck.

Where did you find the second option for download two file zip download? I only see a single 10MB download here

edge

extract and run the equivalent of CD from there. Worked OK except for = PTC genius novelties like getting creative about how to browse to files. = When I figured that out, the whole thing finished in 15 minutes after = downloading. It even did something flawlessly that it's had trouble with = in the past, namely generating a license file. There was an FAQ, = referenced below, that mentions the CAB file = problem.http://www.ptc.com/for/education/tryout_faq.htm>>

Pro/e installation.

The zip file option is with the other one, right at the start of the = whole process. Instead of downloading the 10 meg setup file, the second = option lets you download two zip files and explains what to do with = them. It's the second paragraph on that initial screen, before you = download anything. You probably saw it and thought it was just more = explanation of the same method.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

I too cannot get the Trial Version to install. However its not the .CAB issue. In my case when I try to "Generate License File" I get an error message that states "This application is turned off for maintenance" and the installation never begins. I have been trying since Friday 7/26.

Reply to
greilly

I too cannot get the Trial Version to install. However its not the .CAB issue. In my case when I try to "Generate License File" I get an error message that states "This application is turned off for maintenance" and the installation never begins. I have been trying since Friday 7/26. Look on your installation screen, maybe at the bottom, for something called "Generate license file for offline mode". And there should be a button somewhere that lauches help for installation that explains this procedure.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes