Problems Downloading Wildfire 4.0 Tryout Edition

I am having problems downloading Wildfire 4.0 Tryout Edition . I have tried the input from PTC on how to fix the problem, but still I
can't download. During download I get the error, missing cab files. I followed the PTC instructions to disable AV, Firewall and check the internet connection. Any other ideas?

This sounds like an install problem, not especially a download problem. Download to a very simple directory off the root folder like JUNK, then run the install from there. Folder names are often a reason it can't find things. It could be a reason it can't even download them. PTCSetup was historically stymied, following UNIX conventions, by file/folder names with spaces in them; also by file names longer than some arbitrary length, like 28 characters.
David Janes
edge wrote:

Although I do not know how to fix this problem, it might help you to know that few weeks back I also faced similar problem "missing cab files" while Pro/E Wildfire 4.0 tryout edition install setup program tries to download "lot of stuff". Only solution I can suggest is to try again (Whenever you are feeling lucky :-)).
It would have been nice if installer program can print useful message in case internet connection is lost and also time estimate to complete the installation. Here's is what I remember in case anyone else is contemplating to install the 4.0 TE.
Installer (.exe file) ~= 40 MB Installer program will download addition files/data/code = at least 200 MB

So, did you finally install successfully? Any other trouble we should know about? Are you supposed to uninstall other versions of Pro/e to run the tryout version?
David Janes

I tried it myself. Used the second option, to download two zip files, extract and run the equivalent of CD from there. Worked OK except for PTC genius novelties like getting creative about how to browse to files. When I figured that out, the whole thing finished in 15 minutes after downloading. It even did something flawlessly that it's had trouble with in the past, namely generating a license file. There was an FAQ, referenced below, that mentions the CAB file problem. http://www.ptc.com/for/education/tryout_faq.htm
Now let's see if the thing runs and whether it screwed up my other Pro/e installation.
David Janes

and run the equivalent of CD from there. Worked OK except for PTC genius novelties like getting creative about how to browse to files. When I figured that out, the whole thing finished in 15 minutes after downloading. It even did something flawlessly that it's had trouble with in the past, namely generating a license file. There was an FAQ, referenced below, that mentions the CAB file problem.http://www.ptc.com/for/education/tryout_faq.htm

Thanks for checking this out. Haven't tried it again yet. My license expired before I even got it installed, so I have to get the license reset. My install also generated a license file, but I still had the problem. PTC was of no help really. I did all the recommended fixes for the missing CAB file fix, but still no luck.
Where did you find the second option for download two file zip download? I only see a single 10MB download here http://www.ptc.com/products/tutorials/wf4/intro/index.htm

The zip file option is with the other one, right at the start of the whole process. Instead of downloading the 10 meg setup file, the second option lets you download two zip files and explains what to do with them. It's the second paragraph on that initial screen, before you download anything. You probably saw it and thought it was just more explanation of the same method.
David Janes
I too cannot get the Trial Version to install. However its not the .CAB issue. In my case when I try to "Generate License File" I get an error message that states "This application is turned off for maintenance" and the installation never begins. I have been trying since Friday 7/26.
too cannot get the Trial Version to install.&nbsp; However its not<BR>the .CAB issue.&nbsp; In my case when I try to "Generate License File" I<BR>get an error message that states "This application is turned off for<BR>maintenance" and the installation never begins.&nbsp; I have been trying<BR>since Friday 7/26.</BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Look on your installation screen, maybe at the bottom, for something called "Generate license file for offline mode". And there should be a button somewhere that lauches help for installation that explains this procedure.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=