Lost functionality... where have they all gone?

Is there a post or official PTC document that specifies what features where taken out, moved, or reassigned under new functionality etc. From 2001 to Wildfire?

I've spent the last two days in frustration trying to find a number of features in Wildfire. For instance, can anyone tell me what happen to all the different Datum Curve types, i.e. Intersection of surfs, Projected, Split, From Curve 2 Projections etc.

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

Guys, people, you are getting needlessly lost! They don't bump into walls and bang into each other in the SolidWorks NG like the Three Stooges. Why should we!?! Do you have a PTC account? Are you registered on line? Does the new Wildfire browser log you to the User area, New Technology, Wildfire webtools? If not, sign up for an account. If you have an account, you should have access to Menu Mapper. Get used to using it!!!!!!! You go through the menus you used to use in 2001 or i-squared and it'll tell you where the stuff went. Don't panic and start throwing shit. It's still in there. And they've made it easy for you to find it. No need to waste a day or even an hour. Use this link and pick Menu Mapper:

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Agreed. The menu mapper is great. There's also an article on fawcett.com called aobut some common functionality that's fairly well hidden, so you can check that out too.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is one-by-one rounds.

Cj

David Janes wrote:

Reply to
Chris Fawcett

Most of the confusion I have now is based on the selection process. Once I've mastered that, I should be able to do anything I did before or more, especially with the functions that are thoroughly object/action oriented. And a lot of stuff has been converted to that method, rounds, in particular have functionality based on how you select edges.

Slowly but surely, I'm getting it. But I'll sure be glad when they get where they're going, get it done with and let us get used, for a few years, to using a stable, consistently operating program.

DJ

Reply to
David Janes

Still having problems with one-by-one rounds?

Create a normal round.

Query-sel to the termintating edge (the one you don't want)

RMB, hold and TRIM

Select the patch you don't want to round anymore.

FWIW, I placed an enhancement request so that 1-by-1 becomes an option in Query-sel.

Rui

Reply to
Rui Vaz

Yes, the menu mapper is great tool, but it only goes so deep. For instance, I want to create a blended (boundary) surface. Previous to WF, I had the option when selecting my boundary curves, to build a chain of curves using various selection filters, i.e. "one by one", "boundary face", "Tangent" and then had the ability to trim the curves down to the desired point, surface etc. A lot of this is not in the dash board and I don't know where it's gone and the menu mapper doesn't show me. I'm aware of and for building chains of curves, but I need to do more than that; I need the select chains options menu in 2001 and previous.

I've had some guys already take the WF intro class, and they don't show you where it is. I suspect that you have to take a WF advance surfacing class just to find out where all the options are (or went). I'll be taking the intro WF class, but I don't also want to take surfacing class just to discover the new interface.

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

i.e. "one by one",

I discovered how to do this today, and I must admit, its pretty cool! Discovering that you can drag the endpoints of reference curves in the boundary blend feature and using the snap ( ) to align to another reference, like a point, in essence, is trim the boundary curve on-the-fly. Pretty neat!

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

: I discovered how to do this today, and I must admit, its pretty cool! : Discovering that you can drag the endpoints of reference curves in the : boundary blend feature and using the snap ( ) to align to : another reference, like a point, in essence, is trim the boundary : curve on-the-fly. Pretty neat!

Yeah, I agree, very neat. They've answered the question of how to get rid of the vague, awkward menu choices. Now, if you can select it, you can do it. It's all in the selection process! Brilliant! Have you figured out what the 'T=0' at the ends with the drag handles means?

DJ

Reply to
David Janes