How NOT to remove a lathe chuck

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

Reply to
anorton

You could have a "live injury in progress" warning, fer crying out loud! My leg hurts just from watching that.

Didn't they listen when the instructor told them that those machines won't just bite you, they'll chew you up and spit you out? He's lucky there weren't bones sticking out of flesh at the end of that.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

The guy was VERY lucky.

Ignoramus13782

Can you press stop? Can you press stop?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Shame he didn't castrated by the tail stock as he goes past it... It was "THIS" Close to doing that. It would have been "evolution in action".

Reply to
Cross-Slide

Wasn't even wearing safety glasses!

Reply to
Dennis

Now what do you suppose is going to happen to the shop teacher when the school board sees that video? One hopes that he gets what he deserves.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Helluva way to practice your capoeira, wot?

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That was just plain scary.

These kids now days are out there. I've had a 22-23 yr. old jump back like a startled cat when I turned a lathe on for a second cause he was asking questions. Somehow, I would guess computers, they are suppose to try the unlikely to see if it works. My kid did something like that in front of me, can't recall exactly what it was. Something to do with audio video, like fast forward and rewind at the same time, but that wasn't it. I guess as if there is a special feature hidden behind trying to break it or one's self to see what happens.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Yeah - I once welded a spot-welder's electrodes together. The teacher had to take a cold chisel to it to separate them. =:-O

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Oh, kids these days" was probably exclaimed by the first proto-human that learned to talk, then grew old.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

What nationality? It is not English they speak. I suspect East Europe but can hear nothing distinctive.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

I can plainly hear someone say "press start". It is strange that the lathe is in forward, and the guy holding on to the chuck key is obviously expecting the chuck to rotate in the forward direction. Perhaps the object of the exercise was not chuck removal, but to see how far the lathe could fling a thrill-seeking idiot.

Reply to
Chas

"Get my foot out" and "push stop" sounds English to me.

Reply to
Robert Roland

What on earth were they trying to achieve anyway? Was it just a game of "I am stronger than that two-ton machine"?

Reply to
Robert Roland

USA English, southern/midwestern state punks.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think they were trying to remove the chuck. Unfortunately, it threads off the OPPOSITE way.

The kid's lucky that RPM was set to spin at 5, not 2,000, eh?

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Remove threaded-on chuck?

Ignoramus25939

That's what I noticed, too. Maybe "Righty tighty, lefty loosy" is not on the curriculum until next year.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Not that it matters. This sort of silliness is both timeless and cross-cultural.

Reply to
Jim Stewart