How NOT to remove a lathe chuck

30 years ago, would someone still have needed to ask "Push stop!"?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Don't you remember how dumb you were in high school? I sure do -- my self esteem is only saved by remembering how pathetically dumb everyone else was (particularly anyone giving those boring old safety lectures).

;-)

Reply to
Tim Wescott

In high school, I crashed a chuck on this kind of lathe:

The spindle motor was 10 kW and the lathe weighed 2.5 tons.

Despite the crash, I fell in love with lathes. I wish I could get that kind of lathe, for myself, now.

Ignoramus6201

I think that clip is faked.

It sure looks like his right leg was well over the lathe bed before the scene shifted and he was on his back with his right foot under the chuck. How did it get back up there?

Opines please...

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Done in one cut as far as I see. The videographer nearly got a foot in the head is why the scene shifted slightly.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think his pant leg snagged on the chuck jaws and pulled his foot back under the chuck.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

So much for the sound on my computer...

Reply to
mkoblic

Y'know, I think I was wrong....I slowed down the video and it does look like his pant leg was involved in pulling his foot back up and under the chuck.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia