How to increase the current carrying capacity of Titanium Anodizing Racks

Hi,
We are a new anodizing rack manufacturer. Some of my customers want to
use titanium anodizing racks but they still want the high current
carrying capacity of aluminum racks.
How can we make such racks for them with high current capacity and
resistant to corrosion?
Thank you,
John Pun

johnp
Larger cross section of titanium comes to mind.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
John
That's a tough task. Titanium conductivity is only about 10 % of aluminum. I can think of 3 possibilities:
1) make them from bigger diameter or more rods
2) make them from hollow titanium tubing with an electrically bonded core of copper or other good conductor, maybe you can plate the titanium on copper.
3) Find a titanium alloy that has better conductivity but retains the corrosion resistance you want
Carl Boyd
Reply to
Carl Boyd
Larger cross-sectional area is about it. We ran up to 10000 amps on ours, the pads on the ends of the tanks were about 1x2 feet, the racks themselves stood about 7' tall with a bar at the top about 2"x10" and 20' long. The parts supports themselves were pairs of rectangular loops about 2' wide and 6' high made of rectangular bar stock about 2" wide and 1/4" thick, three sets. The tanks were a little longer than the racks and about 8' deep. We used a bridge crane to move racks around, with wheeled fixtures for moving around the loading/unloading area. You should be able to figure current densities and losses from given bulk resistances from the manuals. If you can't, forget making racks!
Stan
Reply to
stans4
See US 5030520 (still has a few years to run).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
Fabricate the rack out of tubing of titanium and design it so it can be poured full of molten copper or aluminum. I would suggest you talk with the foundry as to where to place the vents for pouring.
John
Reply to
john