how to level a lathe

We want to get the best possible accuracy out of "THE BEAST", my 22x72 Mazak CNC lathe.

So what tools do I need to accurately level the machine and how do I do it?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:41bfbaed$0$190$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

You need: 1) a precision machinists level, 2) vibration absorbing leveling pads, 3) a big-assed wrench (3' handle)

Procedure: Remove the rear cover. Place the level on one of the Z axis ways in the Z direction. Level the machine at first using only the outside 4 leveling pads in both directions, but keeping some weight on the center pads (if equiped). After level with the four outside pads, apply weight to the center (if there) with the level oriented in the X direction until you *just* see the bubble move, then lower them again until the bubble *just* returns to it's original position.

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for the pointers. My six level pads are just steel hockey pucks. Look to be shop built. Probably fails the vibration absorb test. What's a better choice?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, First make certain that you have at least 8" of reinforced concrete below the machine. Once the concrete is ready, prepare 5" square by 1/2" steel plates for each machine foot. Crane the machine to its new home positioning the steel plates under each machine foot. First, thoroughly clean the bed removing all oil and debris. Using a precision master machine level like the

Reply to
Steve Lusardi