How to take the metal pin out

I've seen pattens in glass what will only appear if you breathe on the glass - the vapor in your breath causes the image to appear.

Any clues on to the acid to use, and techniques to apply the acid?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

If you're asking me, Max, I have no clues. That one sounds pretty exotic.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" fired this volley in news:I2GXi.16$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.lga:

If dilute enough, and applied only for a short time, hydrofluoric acid will lightly enough etch glass so the pattern is only an area of increased porosity.

Hydrofluoric acid is the standard for glass etching of any depth.

About twenty years ago, I was given a bottle of Glenfiddich Special Reserve for Christmas. The bottle came in a (metal content!) metal cylinder, and wrapped in a large tissue with the Glenfiddich Stag emblem in line-contrast black.

Hmmmm.... (More Metal Content!) My guns were looking for a classier home, so I transferred the stag to a sheet of glass, along with the "Glenfiddich Special Reserve" banner around it, and etched it on the backside of the glass.

Then, of course (no metal here) built a new wooden gun cabinet around the glass.

Classy... I don't have one, but it looks like it belongs in an old Winsor manor's den.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hmm. 'Sounds like a good reason to buy a Purdy shotgun and a couple of H&H rifles to me, to properly complete the decor. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

shower doors are tempered. i'd be very careful doing any grinding work on or near them, or you'll wind up with a buckfull of glass crumbs.

regards, charlie

charlie

side frame extrusion to that forming the bottom frame member broke off and the head and shank fell out. On dismounting the panel and turning it up till I could see the method of joining, I determined that the threaded portion of the screw could be seen through the slot in the extrusion, the tube that the screw was driven into was actually a "C" shape. I used a cut off wheel in my moto tool to grind a slot full depth, the full length of the remainder of the screw, whereupon the two pieces were readily removed with tweezers. The screw was then replaced with a SS #8 wood screw. Clear as mud? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I have a box of 4 gallons of it and a 8 pound bag of baking soda on the boardwalk to my shop. I bought the high quality HCL from a pool supply. The baking soda from Sams. The pool company quit buying the cheap common grade once used. I think they got some with enough of something that it stained something or messed up some other process. I use it to pickle steel (take off rust and etch) sometimes to preserve or recondition, but mostly to get tooth and a clean background for paint.

Hydrofluoric acid is most dangerous. It etches glass and dissolves semiconductor. It also flows through the skin and dissolves human and all cartilage in the joints. It doesn't feel good when you loose all the cartilage in a hand. Rather gritty. That is why I turned down a gallon jug from the FA lab in a semiconductor house I was an engineering manager in. We closed down that lab and had an independent HAS MAT team come in and clean up the lab. To many years it had gotten out of control.

The Has mat team were long time friends and skilled members of shut down fabs. Engineers and Chemists cleaning up others mess, not theirs. They got the training and developed processes only to loose their jobs in price crunches and aging equipment - lack of real profit to rebuild a $1B USD fab line.

Martin

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I think it was ceramic. Not soft glass but a high temp flowing rock much like used on welding rods.

Soapstone was used for some complex stuff.

Clay containers have held chemicals and food for thousands of years.

Martin

Mart>> snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I suspect the peacock colors in leaded glass is from an HCL wash. Thanks Ed.

Martin

Mart>>> >>>> "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Don't dip the door in the acid - doubt if you could buy that much if any. Mostly you can buy some paste and some wipes.

I'd do the central down. Mask off with wax or tape and work with paste.

It might be best to get it garnet blasted to frost.

Martin

Mart> Everyone,

Martin H. Eastburn

I wondered about those colors when I read about the iridescence that comes from HCL etching, but I didn't see anything on Google about it being used as a coloring method. Probably I wasn't asking Google the right questions.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

messagenews:1194321723 snipped-for-privacy@sp12lax.superfeed.net...

that usually comes from vapor deposits of stannous chloride applied to the slightly under molten temp glass at a certain point in the production of sheet glass.

there are other chemicals used in this too, but all applied to hot glass as a vapor, for example dichroic glass is 10-30 layers of vapor deposition of different kinds of metals in a vacuum chamber.

none of these processes is any type of etching with acids.

regards, charlie

charlie

Aha. Thanks, Charlie.

-- Ed Huntress