"How to use a lathe" tutorial with exercises

I am looking for a textbook, something like a community college textbook for manual lathe operators, with assignments to do etc. Any ideas as to what sort of book I could find, would be great.

Ignoramus24574

My college text was "Machine Tool Practices". I still have it for reference. My son took machining 15 years later and used the same book. It covers most aspects of beginning manual machining.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanks. I will buy it shortly as soon as I find a used one.

Ignoramus24574

Karl, I came across this one and could not resist. That would be IN ADDITION to the one you recommend. :)

Ignoramus24574

That seller seems to have a lot of really interesting books.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

This old book from South Bend may be of interest:

"First year lathe work prepared for students in technical, manual training, and trade schools, and for the apprentice in the shop (1917)"

If you poke around here searching for awhile you will find many other old but useful texts that are available...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

-------- While the text books are available, they are also expensive [as are all college texts]. see my web site for some suggestions

Take a look at Lindsay Books. They offer reprints for very good prices, and as these are the older books these tend to emphasize the manual techniques of the most use to the home/hobby machinist.
manual lather operation see
for some specific lathe projects see

FWIW -- I am a very satisfied Lindsay customer.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

========== see

Machine Tool Practices [early editions $1.99 - $8.91] see
*listing*titleinstructors guide also available [20$]

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Despite its age this one is still pretty good for its student exercises:

I have it open to drawings showing the use of the same indexer that I just bought. Lindsay's 1925 reprint covers HSS, my 1940 original has an added chapter on brazed carbide.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Mon, 18 May 2009 12:31:12 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus24574 scrawled the following:

I have Volume 1 from the 1939 version of that book series. Basic but good. You got only vol. 1, too. He should have listed that, as my seller should have done.

Neener: Mine was $3.99 + $4 s/h. ;)

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You cannot win on everything... I just got 40 lbs of 316 stainless TIG filler rod for $38... Might pay for the books...

Ignoramus24574

On Mon, 18 May 2009 20:38:13 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus24574 scrawled the following:

OK, OK. You take the gloat for the day, Ig. ;)

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A little followup... I also found a perl module WWW::Rapidshare::Free. Based on very preliminary thinking, I would rather use my script because it can sleep and wait until the end of "download limit reached" time. Restarting a modem is not an option for me, because I am on cable with static IP.

Ignoramus27366

A lot of the stuff there is copyrighted and you may not want to make it freely available. Make use of it yourself and pay the author if you find it of value (shrug).

There are several proxy sites that you could try using, like:

Note the links to other sites if you page down a little. If you study the html code you can figure out how to use these sites with your script.

Reply to
Leon Fisk