Hydraulic Problem

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:23:45 +0100, "Moray Cuthill" calmly ranted:

That's what our fathers and forebears did. Kudos.

Have you found valving which will let you obtain that yet?

Sounds good. What about provisions for backing things off if a bypass occurs? (Piece of log jammed behind the ram, etc.?)

It's fun seeing the latest technology in use, isn't it? When my natural gas line was run, instead of trenching, they used an air/hydraulic mole which dug its own tunnel. i hadn't seen one before and it was fun to watch. He didn't quite level it so it came out a couple feet deeper than planned at the street, but he had his backhoe there and found it shortly. (Scoop, metal detect, scoop, metal detect, activate the mole, voila!)

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

I've found the valves, and had one quote for the direct sequencing valves. And unless I find a much cheaper source, Electrical may still be considered. The quote I had, one sequencing valve was more expensive than a double acting solenoid operated spool valve.

I was looking at the circuit diagram last night, and have decided that a double acting spool would be a better approach, as it simplifies the return lines from the cylinders, and would only require 2 inline check valves to bypass the sequence valves. I'll have to get a good copy of the circuit drawn up and posted on my website. Regarding the rams jamming, the 2 rams never cross paths, which means there shouldn't be any metal to metal contact (unless something breaks). Should the main ram jam, it won't be able to complete it's cycle, so it won't be able to operate the spool valve. This effectively means that maximum pressure will be reached and the machine will stop. Should the feed ram jam, I'll design the feed mechanism so that it has a weak link, to minimize damage. Although the machine will keep cycling with the feed ram jammed, there shouldn't be any major damage. And also, there will always be someone near the machine, either loading in logs, or bagging.

My neighbour seen someone using a mole. They had to lay a pipe up a banking, so they dug a hole at the bottom of the banking, and tried sending the mole uphill. Let's just say, they had to do even more digging to get the mole back

Moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:31:05 +0100, "Moray Cuthill" calmly ranted:

Yeah, the valving is the most expensive part of a hydraulic system in smaller situations like this. Longer/larger cylinders can get expensive, too, but the precision valving is where the guys make their bread and butter.

Yes, please.

No, no, I meant pieces of wood. I realized that the rams wouldn't even get close to each other.

Why didn't they use gravity to help speed it downhill? Fools!

--- - Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -

Dynamic Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got a quote today, and can get the sequence valves for about 1/2 price of the previous quote, and these ones also come with a check valve built in, so the valve is bypassed for the ram return lines.

I'm working on it. Should get it done tomorrow (saturday).

Just got to keep an eye on the machine. There should always be someone nearby, incase anything goes wrong. Once you get used to the machine, you'll be ables to tell by the sound if anything has went wrong.

You can never make anything idiot proof. There is nobody as ingenious as an idiot

Moray.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:14:57 +0100, "Moray Cuthill" calmly ranted:

Cool.

Great.

True. IF you pay attention to it. I know a lot of people who don't know how to do either. They don't discern changes in pitch or speed as a problem sound at all. That's always been second nature to me.

I've never figured out how someone so stupid could, at the same time, be so clever as to figure out how to break something which had been tamper/idiot-proofed. C'est la vie.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Moray

Reply to