what do you call this kind of hydraulic valve?

I have a couple of hydraulic valves that I will need to sell for a friend and I can't figure out what to call them - one is made by Adel, one by SA-AL - both are dated in the 50s. These valves have a pressure port, a return port, and a "cylinder 1" and "cylinder 2" port - so if you have a push/pull cylinder, you wire the "cylinder" ports to the two ports on the cylinder, and take pressure and return from the pump and to the resivoir respectively. Both are solenoid valves with a manual override capability

So, what does one call this kind of valve? I've spent way too much time wandering around the net without finding a valve like it - it may well be a spool valve mechanism inside, but there must be a name for the valve to extend/retract a cylinder.

(oh, and if anyone wants one, I also have a cylinder that could go with it, but the cylinder is much much heavier than a valve)

TIA Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

William, Do the valves have single or double solenoids? Single-solenoid would make it a "spring return" valve, in that as power is removed from the solenoid, the valve spring returns to one side. If it has dual solenoids, it is most likely a "detent valve" in that the valve stays shifted to whichever side was last energized. (Note: They do make valves with two solenoids that are not detented, these would either be "closed center" or "open center" type valves.) Nominal designations would be '5/2 or 5/3' or similar, with 5/2 being detented and 5/3 being either cc or oc types. (first number is number of ports, second number is how many spool positions)

Reply to
Anthony

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

What Anthony said, and add the size of the ports and thread type. Don't assume NPT. I was going to add that 50 year-old valves aren't in high demand and won't be worth much...but then I saw your website. (grin)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

4-way directional control valve, solenoid operated

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

What he said.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

thanks guys - a few more details - both valves have two solenoids. the valve made by SA-AL (div of wm witaker co) has two push bottons on top marked A - Cyl-1 and B-Cyl-2 that appear to override the solenoids. The ADEL valve has a rocker that presses on shafts that would appear to override the solenoid.

now to figure out the threads - minor diameter is .678 inches. The Adel valve must be new, it's got the screw in caps and is filled with oil (that doesn't smell like skydrol)

maybe I should keep one for some future project - aaarrrghhh - too many things not enough space - still an electrically powered press could be cool.