What do you call this part?

I acquired an old South Bend lathe. Serial number 51009. It needs some work. One of the the things it needs are the little capped oilers. They are about a quarter inch in diameter and maybe three eighths high. They have a spring loaded cap on them that you lift up, drop some oil in and the cap closes and keeps dirt out.

What is this item called?

Where can you get one, or more? Actually there are probably a lot of places that sell them, but I need to know what I'm asking for. Can you imagine being on the phone for instance and describing it to someone who has no technical background?

Thank you, Bob

Reply to
Bob Itnyre

larry g

I have always heard them referred to as an oil cups

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

McMaster-Carr calls them Oil-Hole Covers. Go to

and enter "oil cover" without the quotes in the search window and a picture of them will pop up on the ride side of the window.

A friend is in the process of restoring 3 9-inch South Bends and he needed those. Since he doesn't have an Internet connection he asked me to find out what they're called and that's what I found. Unfortunately he couldn't find them ANYWHERE locally and we have several good hardware stores and distributors in the area.

He also needed drive screws and McMaster-Carr sells them as well. In case you haven't had to deal with that yet, they're the things that look like rivets that hold the placards and labels on the machine. :-)

Keith Marshall

Oil hole covers. They are made by Gits Mfg. So do a search on oil hole covers and Gits and ask about distributors.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

First of all, thank you all for the information. I'll be getting a few of these things. The Drive screws, I've encountered them before and if I can get to the back side of the the casting that they are in I've usually found the hole goes all the way through and I can drive them out from the other side. This particular lathe has three brass plates on the gear cover on the left side. One is the South Bend Logo (A red S) along with a charting of which gears will give you what feeds. The second plate is a South Bend catalog number and an 8 signifying the swing, and the third is an "Eccles and Davis, Los Angeles" plate. Last night I scrubbed the cover in the sink with detergent and then I Brasso'd the plates. Reminded me of being in the Service. Plates looked pretty nice when I got finished. On the "S" there is the word "twins". I'm guessing this refers to the O'Brien twins who founded South Bend. Thank you again for the good information. Bob

Reply to
Bob Itnyre

In the jewelry and electronics trades they use something called "flush trimming side cutters". These are like a regular pair of dikes, except that the blades only have a single bevel instead of a double grind on each jaw. The backside is almost flat. This lets you cut closer to the surface and leaves the cut flat.

I use my worn out ones to pull drive screws. Put some masking tape on either side of the screw, to protect the surface, grab the head with the cutters parallel to the surface and give the drive screw a half twist counter clockwise.

Now it is out far enough to grab with pliers.

Works 95% of the time.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman