What do you call?

I just watched a video tape "Thunder on the Rails" and had a question about the thing that they used to turn a locomotive around. I thought it was a
Gallows Turntable, but they called it a 'turnstile'. I had never heard that word used in this context. Has anyone?
Frank Rosenbaum

about
that
I've never heard it called a turnstile...normally they're just called a turntable.
Frank Rosenbaum wrote:

IMO, the script writer didn't know the correct term, and the script editor didn't realise it was wrong, so didn't llok for the right word. Happens a lot with obsolescent technologies - e.g., pretty well everybody who isn't a rail fan calls a tender a "coal car."
HTH
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:48:51 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

I thought that was required terminology on eBay?
--
Steve

'Turntable' is the generic term, 'Gallows turntable' is the term for a particular design of t.t. Regards, Bill.

about
that

Russell Crowe put it pretty succinctly a while back. When asked if "Master and Commander" was historically accurate, of it it was just "Hollywood", he replied that it was entertainment, and that if you wanted historical accuracy, you needed to go to the library.
In other words. movies are the same as the mass news media in that you can't put any stock in what they say. They don't have a clue --AND-- they don't care. Remember in "Back to the Future" when Dr. Brown and Marty McFly kept saying jiggahertz instead of gigahertz?
A stile is a narrow opening, typically in a fence, that will permit the passage of a single animal, usually after a toll has been paid, or for purposes of loading them onto a wagon or truck. A turn - stile is an evolution of the stile having a set of arms projecting radially from a rotable hub. It is typically used to permit the passage of a single individual at a time, and is most often seen in theaters, and subway and bus depots. It is that thing you drop the coins into and then walk through.
A turn - table is the thing that locomotives are turned on. A gallows turntable is one that is built like an inside-out suspension bridge, or perhaps half a suspension bridge. It has a tower at the center, which acts as the anchor for the cable stays, which hold the structure together and support the weight.
Just ignore the dialog and enjoy the action.
Froggy,

What you describe is not a suspension design. You got it right in your last sentence; it's a cable-stayed design.
I'd never heard the term "gallows" turntable. Thanks for that.
-- Bill McC.
A stile can also be an arrangement of steps on either side of a fence so that humans can easily climb over but domestic animals cannot. However, in this case, there is no way that this arrangement can be made into a turnstile. Regards, Bill.

Commander" was historically accurate< It depends what you mean by accurate. If you mean did that English ship chase that French ship then I would say Hollywood. If you mean were sailing ships at that time in history as portrayed by the movie then I would consider it better than most. I learned much about ships from the Hornblower series and could even name ropes and sails when I was very young. And for the most part very accurately.
Froggy @ thepond..com, In a message on Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:47:31 GMT, wrote :
about
that
and
replied that
needed to go to
can't put any
Remember in
instead of
jiggaWATTs vs gigaWATTS, 3.3 gigaWATTS to be exact.
passage of a
radially
individual
It is that
bridge, or
as the
the weight.
\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153
Hey Robert,
Did you REALLY need to quote EVERYTHING, just to insert your one line comment smack dab in the middle? Talk about an annoying form of posting...
Jeff