Semi OT: What do you call that lever you use to move a box car?

I used to have to move cars ahead on a siding with a lever tool. What is that thing called?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

McMaster calls it a "railcar mover", who would have guessed? #

2221T8 ,the tings you learn thumbing through their catalog. But they are cheaper and the selection is better at:
Bob's my cat

at:

An "inch bar" for inching the car along.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

I like that one. Seems that is how far I could move a loaded car per stroke.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

In my RR days we called it a pinch bar. Pretty impressive to move a 100,000 # rail car with a hand tool.

Bob Swinney

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Robert Swinney

It is just called a "car mover" Check this site scroll down a bit to the the car mover.

Also check and search for railcar mover and scroll about 3/4 down the page.

Howard Garner railfan for more years then I care to think of.

Reply to
Howard Garner

I always herd them called "Johnson bars" ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I thought that was the place railroad workers stopped to get drunk on the way home from work. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Depends on where you are...

In the locomotive cab, it controls the length of time steam is admitted to the cylinders.

In a light aircraft it raises and lowers the flaps and/or gear if they are manually operated.

In a Caterpillar tractor, it's the forward and reverse lever.

Prolly a half dozen more uses.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I call the two I have "car jacks".