I'd like to buy a small lathe

On 4/13/2020 11:27 AM, speff wrote:

Thanks Spehro, that is useful.
Mikek
"speff" wrote in message
Maybe smaller than you have in mind, but I'm pretty happy with my Grizzly G0602, decent quality and has done most I needed to do so far. I added a live center (like this one, but MT3
https://i.imgur.com/6TBDxh7.png ) and a bunch of other tooling including an AXA quick change tool post and carbide insert tooling. Even got some CBN inserts last year that I've not tried out yet.
25mm is listed as the spindle bore, but mine will take 1" (25.4) easy.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
================================================Do you regret not buying the DRO version?
( I bought a 6 jaw chuck for less than the price difference.)
https://www.avg.com
On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 09:29:32 UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

ut

========================>

They didn't have the DRO version available when I bought it so no regrets p ossible. I bought a solid-looking Sino brand DRO with 2 glass 5 micron scal es to fit it from a local supplier (Accusize) but have not gotten 'round to installing it yet. I installed a similar 3-axis DRO on my mill years ago a nd that all went okay. It would be better if they were both the same brand because there are differences in operation.
Today I would likely get anything with a decent glass-scale DRO installed i f offered at reasonable price. The installation is a bit fiddly. Might cons ider 1um scales if offered but they'd probably be wasted on me.
Since getting it up on the bench and leveled, I have done virtually nothing to it other than installing the QC toolpost and changing the gearbox oil.
I was in China for a few weeks last fall and did some online shopping for a bunch of tooling for lathe and mill. Quality of everything was generally t op-notch, some of it was imported from Japan (Kyocera/Mistubishi insert to oling) or made in Taiwan (5um ER collets). Nice hefty (1.5kg) Albrecht chuc k with Imperial R8 shank. I bought stuff with guaranteed accuracy and mater ials specified. The opposite of the "free shipping" Ali/Banggood junk. Most of the selection in larger industrial sizes though.
I still use my little Sherline occasionally for tiny high-RPM stuff, but mo stly not. Another project is to convert that to CNC but it's not going to b e great without ballscrews and tiny ballscrews are very expensive.
If I won the lottery, of course, I might choose a different set of tools. h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKizLfzz7GM
--Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
been using a grizzly 9x20 for about 15 years..
sure works well
https://i.postimg.cc/vm4ZjrCM/grizzly-side.jpg
Charl
"xman charl" wrote in message
been using a grizzly 9x20 for about 15 years..
sure works well
https://i.postimg.cc/vm4ZjrCM/grizzly-side.jpg
Charl
=======================What have you found to be its limits of size, accuracy and difficult material?
On 4/24/2020 1:43 PM, xman charl wrote:

I've been running a Logan (Wards PowrKraft labeled) built in 1952 for longer than that . It also works very well .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
"Snag" wrote in message
On 4/24/2020 1:43 PM, xman charl wrote:

I've been running a Logan (Wards PowrKraft labeled) built in 1952 for longer than that . It also works very well .
--
Snag

On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 1:51:38 PM UTC-5, amdx wrote:

p.

I found a used Grizzly at a steal. It was almost new, not used alot. The to oling that was included was worth more than what I paid for the Lathe. expe ct to spend quite a bit on tooling. You can purchase as you need it. In my opinion buy as much of a lathe as you can possibly afford.
I found a used Grizzly at a steal. It was almost new, not used alot. The tooling that was included was worth more than what I paid for the Lathe. expect to spend quite a bit on tooling. You can purchase as you need it. In my opinion buy as much of a lathe as you can possibly afford.
In my opinion a 10" to 12" lathe with 5C collets is enough unless you -know- you'll need a larger one. An 8" or 9" lathe with 3 and 4 jaw chucks would have handled almost all of my projects. Same some money for the milling machine.