A new pivot bolt

very worn , enough that when I tried to drag the dirt/gravel/whatever instead of pushing it the lock bolt for angling the blade would
disengage and let the blade swivel freely . So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt . Some of the wear was in the sleeved part that pivots . much more was in the top and bottom plates of the mount . So the new bolt is bigger just under the head to tighten it up on the top plate , and the bottom has a 1/2" steel plate with a precision hole in it . The body was machined .040" over the nominal "new" size of the original . I haven't tested it yet , but there's a lot less vertical movement now - like 1/16" vs about 1/2" . And I expect this new part to last at least as long as the piece of all-thread that the original was made of - it lasted 38 years ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
...So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...
====================================Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and rethreaded into custom hardware.
https://www.avg.com
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 10:21:01 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

We have several TSC stores, and a fairly new Rural King store. It is larger than any of the TSC stores, and it's always busy.
On 4/4/2020 9:20 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

But there's not a TS within a hundred miles ... and I've had that piece of 4140 for at least a couple or 5 years . It turned out well and I'm not sorry I used it .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

But there's not a TS within a hundred miles ... and I've had that piece of 4140 for at least a couple or 5 years . It turned out well and I'm not sorry I used it . Snag
================================For the next job, since that was your last piece.
Another possible source: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/axle-shaft-steel-73854/
https://www.avg.com
On 4/4/2020 4:58 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

that is probably 4130/4140 (sparks and machines identically , and my neighbor has made some into really nice knives ) plus a couple of OCS's , assorted and sundry square tube , angle , some plate and lots of small pieces . That piece just happened to be the right size .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

Oh I still have lots of other stock , including an axle from a Jeep , one from my JD yard tractor , several feet of 2.375 - 3" round stock that is probably 4130/4140 (sparks and machines identically , and my neighbor has made some into really nice knives ) plus a couple of OCS's , assorted and sundry square tube , angle , some plate and lots of small pieces . That piece just happened to be the right size . Snag =================I've read that thin sections of 4130 can be hardened by simply heating them red with a torch and letting them cool. Have you ever tried that? I have some rusty (no markings) flat stock that behaves that way.
https://www.avg.com
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 2:10:31 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

.
==============> >

The nearest TSC to me is almost a hundred miles. It was like that for a lon g time with Harbor Freight - I'd read about people going there and the clos est I could get was the web site. Now there are three almost equally local HF stores (nearest is maybe 5 miles). I'm hoping the same will happen with TSC.
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
The nearest TSC to me is almost a hundred miles. It was like that for a long time with Harbor Freight - I'd read about people going there and the closest I could get was the web site. Now there are three almost equally local HF stores (nearest is maybe 5 miles). I'm hoping the same will happen with TSC. ================================================My best sources for closeouts, second hand tooling and hobby-grade imitations of industrial gear aren't the big chains, but single locally-owned stores typically in low-rent old buildings on the edge of town, who don't advertise and have to be found by word of mouth. I only use TSC and Northern for stuff I can't find elsewhere for less.
https://www.avg.com
On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 7:15:32 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

ong

est

SC.

========================>

se

Agreed - I used to have Dave Sobel just about five miles up the road, but h e's gone and I haven't found a replacement. Those single-owner places are g reat, but finding out about them is a whole other story.
In my work doing industrial control retrofits (working on two large (100 cu bic foot) blenders for a pharmaceutical plant now), and it would be nice to have a local supplier of "stuff" rather than having to buy from the likes of Automation Direct, Grainger and Amazon.
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 7:15:32 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Agreed - I used to have Dave Sobel just about five miles up the road, but he's gone and I haven't found a replacement. Those single-owner places are great, but finding out about them is a whole other story.
In my work doing industrial control retrofits (working on two large (100 cubic foot) blenders for a pharmaceutical plant now), and it would be nice to have a local supplier of "stuff" rather than having to buy from the likes of Automation Direct, Grainger and Amazon.
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ Have you had quality issues with the wannabe-industrial controls from Amazon? I don't want my solar installation to catch fire, but their prices are lower now than Square D was back in the 1970's, and I won't be washing them down or hitting them with a forklift.
https://www.avg.com
On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 7:58:52 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

kes

es

I haven't, but mostly I don't buy controllers, per se, but rather component s to build my own. but I do use things like little dc-dc converter modules. I also buy things like solenoid air valves, pressure switches, regulators, prox switches & such. No major problems so far.