time to buy a lathe

I'm in need of upgrading my big lathe...

"The Kid" volunteered to take the old one, so at least I have room.

I used a leblond servo shift many years ago and loved it. here's a leblond- regal

"The Kid" thinks a Clausing would be way better

I'll go look at lathes this week, may find a few more. I'm only buying in the MN area because I can look at it and pick it up, no truck expense. Anybody have comments or comparisons on these two lathe models? Any special problems to look for?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Clausing has a big advantage of being able to buy parts for it.

Ignoramus28557

Ahm no 'spert.... but I have come to realize that some lathes seem to have unnecessary (read: expensive to fix) complexity.

Some Clausings have a kind of hydraulic variable speed, which can go. Newer clausing-colchesters have a friction clutch, which can go (slip). I think it's bypassable (you can lock it up), but not sure. My buddy's euro 15" SouthBend has so many goddamm relays in it, you need a schematic.... ditto Hardinge. His southbend has been apart for over a year.

But, apart from all that, plentiful parts is a point to consider. But clausing parts from clausing are phenomenally expensive -- your knees will buckle. But if plentiful in the used market, then mebbe no pro'leng.

Mebbe distill the wisdom of used machinery dealers in the area -- some of these guys are ex-machinists/repair guys, and really know a lot about the innerworkings. The only problem is vested interests in the advice, but that's where distillation comes in.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Other factors being equal, buy the heaviest.one.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Given the size range you are looking at -- and today's fuel costs, that makes serious sense.

The first thing which I noticed is that that specific Clausing has a lever-style collet closer, while there is nothing of the sort shown on the LbBlond.

I have no experience with the LeBlond machines, but I do own a (somewhat smaller) Clausing, and very much like it.

Note that if you can check them under power, set the Clausing to some mid speed and (with a mechanical or optical tach) check for speed drift over a few minutes. The smaller Clausings at least use a hydraulic adjustor to the variable-speed pulley assembly, and they are known to develop leaks over time. They can be rebuilt, but you should know about it at least. (My Clausing is step pulleys so I don't have that particular worry.)

I don't know how the LeBlond handles variable speed -- for all I know, it may have the same potential problem.

I wish that *I* had room for a machine of this size. :-)

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have that exact lathe in my home shop. And have no complaints with it. The hydraulic vari-drive has been something of an issue, but once it was rebuilt..it works fine and goes fast enough for small stuff.

2800 rpm as I recall, in 3 speed ranges, the top end being direct drive, the other 2 in "gear head" configuration.

Its actually a pretty nice lathe. And 1/3rd the price of the Leblond.

Need metric threading? If not..take a hard look at the 1501 listed

Though they will ask for your first born child along with a huge amount of cash......

As much as I hate to say it...these are actually pretty good lathes

Finding them used can be done.

You may also wish to look for Colchester, which are pretty good lathes as well. Sometimes labled Clausing-Colchester

Leblond is a very nice lathe...but...its not the easiest machine to find parts for..and when they can be found..be sitting down when you hear the price. Clausing makes your stomach hurt...Leblond pricing will kick you to death.

Which is why I posted the Jet lathes....shrug

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

Their prices are usually not so bad, I bought a few parts from them

Ignoramus28557

Hey Karl,

Too bad about the "close to home" requirement. There's a 24" (I think) Dean-Smith & Grace at an aero-repair facility in Montreal.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

yep, been watching sence spring. I keep seeing great deals too far away to check out.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend