I need a large surface plate - Texas

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in message

Rex
Consider a "Lakeshore" engine test bed. They make slotted cast iron bed plates of the type you describe and in all sizes.
JRW
Hey Rex,
Well, in the category of WOW!!!, have a look at this:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%94360235&category 581>
You might also consider floating a piece of float-glass on either plaster-of-paris or concrete. I made a decent enough 24" x 24" surface plate like that many moons ago. It is self-leveling if done on the bench where it will reside too.
Up this way, there are/were large cast-iron or cast-steel lay-out plates called "audit plates", which were used to check auto manufacturing projects. Some were pretty large, maybe 12' X 25'. At the time, these were in open areas in the auto plant, but now the QC and this type work are done in closed access areas, so I don't know exactly what they use. Probably large CNC CMM's.
Have you considered making up a table from a bunch of say 24" X 24" pieces of 1/2" Blanchard ground plates with adjustment jack-screws underside. A manageable size. Get somebody in with a laser transit and level them off to each other. Done in a pattern, you could even space them from 1/2" to 1"apart, to suit what you have now for your mill table, so they form a bench with T-slots. Well, maybe not really true T slots, but you get the idea.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:43:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote:

|Hey Rex, | |Well, in the category of WOW!!!, have a look at this: | |<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%94360235&category 581>
Hey, that's perfect! Except it's in Maine, and I'm in Texas. Anyone headed this way with a trailer? <G> Rex in Fort Worth
Build a good sturdy workbench but build it about 8" lower than you want the frame. Vist the nearest flea markets and pick up a few (at least four) old screw jacks. (Hydraulic won't do since even the best slowly leak down.) Use the jacks and a surveyors level or a laser laevel to set things up. I have used screw jacks (for which I paid $2 or $3 each) for various large welding projects.
I used a Nikon surveyors level since I bought one when building this house. Saved its cost several times over. I made a special "rod" from a metal slug and a 6" rule calibrated int 0.01". Easy to read 5 thou from across the room.
Ted

need a

suspension.
I think in 2004, you'd use optical controls. A laser bench might be economical compared to granite, and you could use it to establish 3D control.
Buy a couple (dirt cheap) construction-grade lasers and play with them. They might be good enough for a race car.
Even if you're a devoted revivalist, you can get what appear to be decent used jig transits for a grand or so.
Hth, Fred Klingener

As we closed our plant here in Lansing, MI, I inventoried the plates we had. Three cast iron ` 12' x 15' with MORA CMM's, a Zeiss 6'x8' with computer control (old). About a dozen 4'x6' to 6'x8' granite. A couple 8'x10' granite. Should come up for auction middle of the summer. Or they might just haul them off to the dump.
Of course, the plant we were 'consolidated' into had a huge traveling column boring mill, capable of mounting two complete car hood or roof dies at the same time. They paid about 1/3 of a million to have someone torch it into pieces to haul to the scrap.
--
Delete 1 from address - munged to avoid spam and worse

Hey Karl,
Where is that place, like what name, so I can watch the auction sheet?. And what else might they have?
TIA. Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX BIG 8><

Rex in Fort Worth
There are used granite surface plates. Take a look at these links
http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inventory/list.php3?Keyword=surface+plate&Category=All&submit=Submit
http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/list.asp?HomeCategory=IN
If the real thing is affordable, why not get it?
Bob
On 12 Feb 2004 11:10:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@advant.com (Bonza) wrote:
|Rex in Fort Worth | |There are used granite surface plates. Take a look at these links | |http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inventory/list.php3?Keyword=surface+plate&Category=All&submit=Submit | |http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/list.asp?HomeCategory=IN | |If the real thing is affordable, why not get it?
Good point. i had no idea there were so many around. Rex in Fort Worth
On 12 Feb 2004 11:10:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@advant.com (Bonza) wrote:
|Rex in Fort Worth | |There are used granite surface plates. Take a look at these links | |http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inventory/list.php3?Keyword=surface+plate&Category=All&submit=Submit | |http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/list.asp?HomeCategory=IN | |If the real thing is affordable, why not get it?
"Just set that in the back of that red pickup over there" Rex in Fort Worth