Large surface grinder-craigslist

I don't have any interest in this grinder but when I saw the price and photo I knew I had to post it.
Large Surface Grinder - $250 (Chico) (California)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT Reply to: snipped-for-privacy@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
This is a large Landis surface grinder with a 12" wheel and a 6" x 18" magnetic chuck in good condition for only $250. Please call KARL at 895-3838 extension #48 between the hours of 6:00 am and 2:30 pm, Monday thru Thursday.
a little bit north, (glendale) we have http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tls/1332528082.html
[Errors when replying

Surface grinder market is not what it used to be.
I was at a factory recently, and the owner was begging me to take a Boyar-Shultz surface grinder for $100, but I had to decline as my truck was full.

[Errors when replying

I remember the days when no one had surface grinders. My dad shaved the heads of maybe 60% of the V8-60 racecar engines west of the Mississippi. He made a gig that screwed into the sparkplug holes and he could chuck up the head. Racers sent him lots of heads. When Flycutters came out, that business quickly died.

Surface grinders aren't worth crap I've been trying to sell an 8 x 24 for $400 and it will not sell, the chuck is worth $600. I'm going to cut it up for scrap and just save the chuck.
I did buy an absolutely beautiful Brown and Sharpe Techmaster 8 x24 for $2000 about a year ago. So low prices can be good too.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Landis made various surface grinders..but based on the info..it sounds far more like an OD grinder. Which Landis made their name on. Good stuff Maynard.
Gunner
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:32:23 -0700, Gunner Asch

per the picture its a surface grinder, looks like a hand cranked model to me.
http://chico.craigslist.org/tls/1332333889.html
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

That indeed IS a surface grinder.
One sees far more Landis OD grinders than Surface Grinders. I almost brought one home from the factory I just tore down...but didnt have a truck big enough to move it.
http://www.usedequip.com/q/showdlist/,,ST,,,003000,10140591
An example...shrug
Gunner
[Errors when replying

Heck, 16,000 pounds of scrap at only 10 cents a pound would make a nice profit. 25 cents would make a really nice profit.
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:18:02 -0700, "Calif Bill"

In california..they are paying .30 per pound in some places.
8 tons does require some special handling techniques though.
Gunner
[Errors when replying

Not really, just a bigger truck than I have. But I could tow the trailer with it.
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:11:37 -0700, "Calif Bill"

So you would simply stick a dolly under it and move it out to the trailer?
<G>
Gunner
[Errors when

Furniture dolly. :>) Or a bunch of Det cord to cut it up. May not work, but would be fun.

WOW, now here's a bigger one just under an hours drive from me. 20 x 40"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item &0464295057
looks like good iron with an electrical nightmare.
8 tons of machine for only $500.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Randy wrote:

-------
-------
You could easily retrofit a control to this machine and have yourself an excellent grinder for $3K or maybe less.
--
John R. Carroll

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:36:21 -0800, "John R. Carroll"

I agree, but it's too big for my shop. My B&S Techmaster has a Allen Bradley SLC500 PLC retrofitted in it. (I guess the factory Modicon died) This would be a good retro for this machine too, looks like all pinball logic in there now.
I'm in process of very slowly coming up with new programming for the SLC500 in mine, what's in there makes the machine go, but not really well.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

I didnt see any indications that the grinder was dead in the first place. It may already be an exellent grinder.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:49:18 -0700, Gunner Asch

Condition of the unit:
* Electrical controls are damaged * Rapid table jog buttons are not working * Auto-Cross Feed is not working * Gibbs and Ways were reconditioned in 2004 * Spindle runs * Table cycles left to right
not dead, but in need of some work, the first one makes me think a total rewire or retrofit might be needed.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Looks like a nice grinder
It requires a floor space of 142 inches x 95 inches and a height of at least 84 inches. It is estimated that this unit is about 40 years old and includes:
* Coolant Reservoir * Pump and Filter * Hydraulic Tank and Pump
It requires 3 phase, 240 volts and weighs approximately 16,000 pounds."