Identify material of "rubber armour" on outdoors binoculars

Hi,

I'm doing a school project, trying to identify the type of rubber use in everyday life. I found this use as "rubber armour" for protecting outdoor binoculars.

After some extensive searching, I couldn't find info on the type of rubber it is (eg. is it neoprene, EPDM etc)... most websites just put down "rubber armour"...

Wonder if anyone here might be able to help!

Many thanks!

George

Reply to
geo.ng108

Most of those are vinyl (PVC) or vinyl/synthetic rubber co-polymers with pigments and plasticizers to make them feel "soft".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Why don't you call a few manufacturers? Many have 800 numbers and will be happy to share non-propriatary info.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

What about Sorbothane?

Reply to
gil

Could be any number of materials, plasticized vinyl, urethane, neoprene or proprietary co-polymers. It'll vary with the manufacturer and price of the unit.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I believe that is a polyurethane vented cell foam -- similar in physical structure to those specialty mattress foams.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sounds like it could be like Santoprene -

Reply to
syoung